• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So I'm not approaching an exam right now. But there is a perspective I want to share. When I was beginning my journey with karate, first, I didn't know I will stick with it at all. Then I hoped for a blue belt at most, brown belts seemed so advanced that I will never reach this level and won't continue training for so many years. This winter I'm finally approaching the blue belt exam. Recently, I see that I have the determination to train for 5 years or more or even for decades, karate has become such an important outlet and a passion for me. I hope for a brown belt now in these next couple of years.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sometimes our reasons for training change, especially if you start karate at a young age.

when looking at higher grades, it can be quite daunting to think you might have to do what they are doing one day, but when you start working through the grades, you get a little bit closer every time and suddenly it doesn't seem like a massive jump.

with passion and determination you will be surprised just how much you can achieve!

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I find that sometimes motivation comes in waves. You will have months were the only thing you can think of is the next time that you're going to be in the dojo and then maybe some months that if will feel like a slog. It's just like anything we love to do, sometimes it waxes and wans. The important thing to do is remember this feeling. Remember what it is like to be head over heels so that when you feel cooler on it you know that you will shortly fall back in love.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I agree with Zaine. I've had highs and lows in the dojang. Right now, things are kind of a slog. But, I'm staying steady with it, and I always feel good after a class.

Goals!?!?

Stepping on the floor to train/learn one day at a time. Once on the floor, then train hard and train well each and every time with a serious tone and mindset. Without this one goal being foremost, then nothing else can be achieved effectively.

Proof is on the floor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think most people go through this. At the early stages you are just focused on getting through to the next belt and blackbelt seems a long way off. After some time though you shift to enjoying training for trainings sake and set other goals than getting to the next belt.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think most people go through this. At the early stages you are just focused on getting through to the next belt and blackbelt seems a long way off. After some time though you shift to enjoying training for trainings sake and set other goals than getting to the next belt.
Ironically enough, once martial artists get to the point where the focus shifts to learning for the sake of learning they find that the belts come much easier and faster. Focusing on being the best learner you can be often means that you're proficiency becomes greater than if you were trying to just jam the information in to meet the testing requirements.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 4 weeks later...

Ironically enough, once martial artists get to the point where the focus shifts to learning for the sake of learning they find that the belts come much easier and faster. Focusing on being the best learner you can be often means that you're proficiency becomes greater than if you were trying to just jam the information in to meet the testing requirements.

Exactly.

Although I can't say it was a fast progression. For such a long time I made no progress at all in terms of grades. I mean, I still learnt a lot in classes and had to work hard on my fitness, unlike people who are definitely more gifted in terms of not getting tired during trainings. I pushed through it just because I enjoyed the trainings, no matter how bad I was. Maybe now it's getting a little faster?

To add to the bold type above....

Belts/rank no longer become important. As Mr. Han from Enter The Dragon spoke so candidly...

"We are unique, in that we create ourselves. Through long years of rigorous training, sacrifice, denial, pain, we forge our bodies, in the fire of our will."

Rank/belts don't survive in the fire of our will.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!