• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ranks in a School with Multiple Styles

Zaine

I ended up talking to my current dojo about it and they do hold that we learn two separate systems and our tests are for both. So the sensei that I work the most with, for example, is a Nidan in Shobayashi and Shudokan. I didn't reach out to my original instructor because doing so sounded like a bad time.
Well, it sounds like you got your answer!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The reason I mentioned kobudo is that it is a separate system on its own, but has come to be taught entirely or most commonly in parts in most Okinawan styles. Although it might take some searching, it is possible to learn and grade in it separately from karate. There at at least two maybe three kobudo only dojo’s in Naha, Okinawa. And there are also a few others in the USA and Europe focusing on weapons. And yes they do actually spar weapon vs weapon empty hand vs weapon. Scary stuff when you know that if one misses by even a hair, it could cause a visit to the ER.

Our dojo teaches 3 different styles, Uechi-Ryu Karate, Aikido, and Matayoshi Kobudo. Our school is affiliated with different organizations for each, and as such has different syllabi and rankings.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

• 2 weeks later...

I trained for a while in a dojo where they taught three (3) different koryu styles. They used a licensing system (Okuiri, Mokuroku, Menkyo, Menkyo Kaiden, etc.) as opposed to that more modern dan system. So, you rank was based on individual arts even they they were connected...and sometimes blended.

But, at the end of the day, I would assume that it is up to the person issuing the rank and signing the certificates.

For me bujutsu is not a set of techniques, but a state of the body. Once the principles are integrated, the techniques surge spontaneously because the body is capable of adapting instantaneously.

• 5 weeks later...