• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MATCHING LABELS

mjh1969

I have a weird question. Does the label on a person's belt always have to match their style of martial arts? I ask because I love the shito-kai circular label on Tokaido or Hirota belts but my main style of karate is shotokan. I could wear a JKA label but the shito-kai label appeals to me more.

Any input would be appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's really up to your instructor. In general, though, it's pretty rare that anyone cares that the labels on the keikogi and obi match. I don't think most people buy the same brand of keikogi and obi, to begin with, because of pricing, fit, and customization options.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 9 months later...

I wouldnt worry about label matching. If it helps, just look at BJJ gis lol they have multiple label/sponsors all over their gis,

dependent on your school and Instructor. We don't worry about matching labels :)

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I take my label off my obi or cover it up. To me, it's just a label of very little significance.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 10 months later...

Not a weird question : i have trained under people in the past for whom it would definitely matter, people who would tell you to remove the label regardless (as sensei_8 does), and people who couldn't care less.

Best approach (as is often the case!) is just to ask your instructor if it is something they care about. No need to risk offending/annoying someone inadvertently which just doing it and trying to slide it by them might do (plus you would be out the cost of the Belt too!)

I have a weird question. Does the label on a person's belt always have to match their style of martial arts? I ask because I love the shito-kai circular label on Tokaido or Hirota belts but my main style of karate is shotokan. I could wear a JKA label but the shito-kai label appeals to me more.

Any input would be appreciated.

Although I've never seen a shrink, I'm pretty positive that I'm OCD, so I'd tell you "yes." But take that with a grain of salt.

I'm working out some OCD issues right now with the fact that I don't like Tokaido, yet they're the only brand with ISKF labels.

History:

Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, 2019 - 2023: Rokkyu

Shotokan, 2023 - Present: Yonkyu

Judo, 2023: Novice

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt