• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

black belt test on sunday. need food tips

Peace

I have a hudge black belt test on sunday. around 9 hours long. lots of physical activity with 2-4 food breaks that are 5 minutes long. i need tips on what to eat or bring. besides water and fruit? any other ideas?

Wanna stay alive.. stay with me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm no expert, but if I were doing that I'd concentrate on quick, easily digestible stuff.

- sports drinks to replace electrolytes

- some sort of protein mix/shake with carbs

Shitoryu Itosukai

Tsuruoka Karate

Well here are just a few tips that might help you out. I had to literally force myself to eat before each of my tests.... (but then again they weren't 9 hours long!! :o ) I also tend to lose my appetite when I am nervous .... and you will be I am sure.

Make you are well-hydrated before the test as well as during (500ml of a 6% sports drink one hour before is fine)

Empty your bladder beforehand! :D

Drink small amounts regularly

A solid meal should be eaten about 3 to 4 hours before your test...(allowing for the stomach to be relatively empty before you begin)

Choose high carbohydrate, low fat foods

Try a liquid or low fibre meal if you suffer from nerves. Liquid meals have some advantages over solid meals. They are well balanced, have a high carbohydrate content, have little bulk. Some of these liquid meals are Ensure, Ensure-plus, Nutriment, Slim Fast, instant breakfasts, etc. For extra energy bring a package of Carnation Instant Breakfast mix it with a carton of milk duriing one of your food breaks.

Stay away from foods like chips, beans or spicy foods ...these foods may cause heart burn or stomach upset. High sugar foods & drinks also lead to stomach upset and diarrhea. Not something you need on the day of the test!. Large amounts of sugar and soda may even cause the you to have less energy.

The typical person will runs out of their stored carbs after about 90 minutes of continued activity, so you you need eat of 25 to 30 g to retain what you lost during that time. Sports drinks will meet this need and help to hydrate. Quick energy carbs are those with a high glycemic index, carbs that raise blood sugar quickly, such as orange juice, bananas, raisins, and carrots.

There really is no need for you to carb load days before the test to ensure that you have the required energy for endurance but I do suggest that you eat more nutritiously several days beforehand.

I also like those "Energy" type bars, for something solid. It doesn't weigh you down, but gives you something other than liquid.

We didn't do 9hr tests. But we did do 4hr test, followed immediately by a 4hr training seminar with the Grandmaster.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

I find power bars easy to handle during those short breaks. A lot depends on how quickly your body uses the stored glycogen and breaks down what you ingest during your breaks.

I have also used carb gels to quickly bring my blood sugar back up to par in a hurry as it is absorbed into the system quicker than most other things. But then I can be extremely hypoglycemic.

Good luck. And the best pretest advice I was ever given was to get a good nights sleep the second night before the test. Because often we are too nervous to sleep well the night before.