• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KarateForuns 20th anniversary

Hello martial artists.

It's been a bit over two years since I was last here.

At the time, I had my belt for 3 months, a 10th kyu fresh out of my first tournament and with so much to learn.

Things change... Now I'm a 7th kyu (6th kyu by tomorrow, if everything goes well), and the way I figure, with much more to learn.

I've learned a lot, I've practiced a lot, and my motivation only grew.

Also, I changed a lot.

Since my last post, I was diagnosed with a type 3 herniated disc, and told by my doctor I had to quit karate (all physical activity, really). I was away for 3 months, then managed to slowly but surely get back, knowing now I have some limitations on what I can do, and learning to listen to what my body tells me.

I've learned to take it easy, both physically and mentally, and since I came back, I've entered a major national tournament, I've been helping the sensei teaching the youngsters, and overall, I've been an active member of my dojo, helping where I can, and having the time of my life on the process.

My last post was about how nervous I got in certain occasions, like a tournament or graduation.

I no longer get as nervous, but I'll admit, I still do a bit.

In this journey, I'm not alone.

My kid has been following the same path and we're having a blast working together on this.

So there it is, I took the opportunity to update my presentation on the 20th anniversary of the forum.

Congratulations to KarateForuns and everyone involved in its management.

By the way, wish me luck for tomorrow! :P

OSS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

nunopicado, congratulations on your promotions in karate and welcome back to the forums.

Good luck in your future endeavors of you and your family in your martial arts journey. I look forward in hearing about your progress.

Karate no Michi! :karate:

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Congratulations, indeed, and welcome back!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Congrats, and welcome back! It's great to hear from you, and great to hear that you triumphed over your injury and got back into Martial Arts, and with your child, too! :karate:

Welcome back, nunopicado! Thanks for the update! That's awesome how you've been able to navigate that challenge!

Good luck with the promotion. Please let us know how it goes. :)

Patrick

Welcome back! I understand what it is like to train through injuries. I have bulging discs in my lower back and arthritis in both knees. I’ve figured out what aggravates them and avoid those types of movements. It is all about trying to move forward in your training as best you can.

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Matayoshi Kobudo 2024-Present - Kukyu

Congrats to your promotion, nunopicado; welcome back!! Please take care of your back; train at your pace, and by all means, don't overdue it.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Congratulations nunopicadoand welcome back!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thank you everyone.

My grading exam went well, I was feeling ready, and felt good doing it.

The examiner didn't mention any mistakes, and I was aware of none too (although sometimes it's harder to notice our own mistakes than it is for another person).

I should be getting the results in a couple of weeks, but I'm confident about it.

Now, work for the next stage begins.

Thank you everyone.

My grading exam went well, I was feeling ready, and felt good doing it.

The examiner didn't mention any mistakes, and I was aware of none too (although sometimes it's harder to notice our own mistakes than it is for another person).

I should be getting the results in a couple of weeks, but I'm confident about it.

Now, work for the next stage begins.

The next stage never ends. I wouldn't want it any other way.

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!