• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2 Weeks.....

shotochem

HI Everyone,

2 weeks made the difference.

I just recently considered quitting. Too many body parts injured at one time. Twisted my knee, dislocated shoulder and because of that a sore back. I went to class and trained at 50% of myself. 2 months of dealing with the pain and being frustrated at not performing to my own standards. I felt like I was moving backwards instead of foward.

I decided once and for all to take time off over the holidays. After a 2 week rest...... I went back still not myself but not as bad. I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I decided to

stick with it a little longer .

2 weeks later..... the punches are faster and the kicks are thundering again :D :D :D Im almost back to my nasty old self again.

:brow:

I was wondering, have any of you ever considered giving up MA? Why? What did you do? How did you overcome your injuries? What made you not give up?

2 weeks can make a difference....... :up:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes, I have. I took two weeks off between the "McDojang" and my new dojang. I had time to re-think my reasonings for MA. After the injuries I also got, and not getting what I wanted out of MA. But training only two weeks in the new dojang, changed my mind (about quiting it all together ..... yes, a secret I didn't tell you folks ..... ooops). I was going to quit, and just admire MA from the "side-lines." But I would let the hard work I did go to waste. Plus the new dojang gives me what I was looking for ...... SELF DEFENSE NOT SPORT! :D Notice in my sig I don't "credit" the McDojang :D

Laurie F

thanks for sharing that with us shotochem....

i've only just started MT training myself but am riddled with injuries right now too. suspected fracture on both toes, flat feet, plantar fascitis problems, chondromalatia patella, bruises, scratches, a weak and sore right wrist and aching shoulders. i'd love a break - i think it would do me good, but i feel as if i can't take one 'cos i've only just started!

at this point, i only have 1 day in between MT classes and in between try to do light jogs, walking, weight training, yoga or aerobics....

but all this has made me realise the importance of recovery. getting early nights and reserving time on weekends (when i'm not training), just for *me* :)

==================

http://come.to/BlackBeauty

==================

I think there are plenty of martial artists out there that have reached their point of "burnout" whether it be mental, emotional, or physical. We must remember that our training is a lifetime journey so pace ourselves. Don't be afraid to take a break once in awhile because you'll know when your break has over-extended it's stay.....you'll start to get the "itch" to train again :D

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Yeah, I have considered quitting MA, generally it's when I throw up doing some form of training, whether it's having a roll, or doing cardio. Throwing up is one of the worst feelings for me. But, after I've finished and I feel normal again, I'm straight back on the mat or in the pool again without a second thought! :P It's just a temporary thought to try and make my pain go away, I'd never quite martial arts because it was too hard, that's why I love it! :)

Hi Guys,(and Ladies) :)

Thanks for your replies. I was feeling like I just hit the wall. It has been the longest rut in my training to date. After a while you just think is it worth it or will I ever get back on track. I worked more on mechanics than power and just went through the motions. I now realize that by doing this it seems like I have improved myself along with my health :D .

See, sometimes ya learn something without even knowing :P :P :P

Theres nothing like it just feeling right.........

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

We had someone like you at my first dojang. He limped along for a little while, until the master finally sat him down and said "No more." He was given some training exercises to do that would not agravate his injury. And, after a month of that (yes he had to demonstrate our "two Ps", patience and perceverance), he was allowed to join class again.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.