• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stories of a middle aged beginner

Questor

What is the "four-person bunkai?" Is it with 4 opponents coming from each angle, and you deliver techniques to one, and then another?

For example...

This type of drill can be best seen at any WTF or WKA Tournament.

In this case, 4 persons will execute said Kata simultaneously. Thereafter, one of the 4 persons will separate themselves from the others by position him/herself in the center of the competition floor. The remaining persons will strategically position themselves around that one person.

Then, the 3 persons will in turn or together or near simultaneously attack that one person with a prescribed attack, whereas, that one person will execute the prescribed techniques of said Bunkai defense(s).

All of this is done crisp and smartly by all 4 persons. The timing and all that's found in said Kata remain intact from start to finish. The Bunkai should never be the same each time, however, effectiveness must also remain intact.

So as to not violate any copyright laws, just go to YouTube, type in WKF or WKA Team Kata to get a better idea.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the explanation, Bob. I think I've seen such things in the past. When I've seen them, they have seemed to have more of a demonstration approach than a practical approach. Has this been your experience?

Thanks for the explanation, Bob. I think I've seen such things in the past. When I've seen them, they have seemed to have more of a demonstration approach than a practical approach. Has this been your experience?

Yes, it's been my experience as well. Within the dojo, a more effective and practical Bunkai are required within the 3 and 4 person Bunkai.

Yet, as we're all aware of, those Bunkai that have that demonstration feel to them, do have the core of effective and practical Bunkai once the demo feeling is kicked to the curb.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What is the "four-person bunkai?" Is it with 4 opponents coming from each angle, and you deliver techniques to one, and then another?

In our typical bunkai, there is an attacker and a defender. The defender performs a sequence of the kata, pauses, steps to the attacker and performs the interpreted sequence with the attacker. The defender then moves back to their original position, performs the sequence again, and moves to the next sequence. It's somewhat formalized and intended for presentation to an audience (usually a promotion board).

In the four-person bunkai, the defender steps through the kata in sequence, and the attackers rotate in to attack them. This turns into a rapid-fire sequence of attacks and defenses. After the first defender completes the kata, the next defender rotates in and the sequence starts all over again.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend we had our first SSU Oceania Gasshuku since 2019 up in Brisbane.

2 days of training learning katas Papuren and Gojushiho, as well as drills around their application.

Sadly Ishitobi Sensei couldn't make it down from Japan (as he wouldn't have been able to get back into Japan afterwards) but it was great to train with people from all over Australia (and New Zealand) and be surrounded by fellow karate geeks.

It's never to late learn anything. You just have to keep an open mind. Who cares if you are unable to do it at first. Everything begins by making the first step and the fear of not being compared to others regardless of Age or technique. Just Never Give Up!