• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Old(er) guy getting started again

Bobd400

Good day all,

Short bio...had studied a couple of arts as a child, but got more serious in my late teens and by early 20's was a red belt in an "American" Tae Kwon Do style. Unfortunately a series of factors, (School, work, family, other sporting interests) forced me to chose and I stopped training.

Over the years (I'm 52 now) I have studied other arts (Wing Chun, BJJ, Aikijutsu) but generally it would be for 6 months, maybe a year or year and a half and inevitably life would happen and I'd stop training.

But I'm at the point in life now where my other sports pursuits (powerlifting, highland games, etc.) are winding down (more a factor of injuries than anything) and I'm sincerely interested in using the benefits of marital arts to help fight off what I see as two of the biggest enemies of older age...losing mobility and losing mental flexibility.

The unfortunate part is due to my rural location and work schedule, I have not been able to find a school/style that I like that is in line with my availability. So I have started training using a virtual school.

I know the thoughts on this generally are negative, but (as I wrote in another post) my goals here are not fighting focused, but for exercise and body/mind improvement primarily.

Looking forward to hearing/learning from others training as I progress on my own. Best Regards

-Bob

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum, Bob! Good luck in meeting your goals and enjoy your time here!

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Welcome, BobD! :karate:

Was the "American" TKD you did, perhaps, in the ATA? I was a former member myself.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences! If you are so inclined, there is a running Martial Artists' Training Log thread in the Health and Fitness forum where you can basically share your training journal!

Bobd400, welcome to the forums and good luck on your Martial Arts journey!

Karate no michi! :karate:

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)