• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another old new guy!

Questor

Howdy gang, great to see some forums still around in the age of social media!

A bit about me:

I am a 43 year old guy currently living in Melbourne, Aus. I practiced Wado-Ryu for around 18 months when I was 16/17 years old back in the UK, but being a teenager, and then heading to university meant I didn't keep up with it.

Fast forward to early 2021. I had been thinking for years that I should start training again, and finally got off my backside and did some research into local clubs. I discovered one rather close to home that seemed to have a good ethos, signed up for a trial, and haven't looked back in the last 3 months. It is quite different to the Wado that I have previously practiced, but it's been great so far.

It's been an interesting experience, given I was the only white belt for the vast majority of classes, and almost everyone else was 3rd kyu or above, not to mention that I was almost certainly the oldest member of the class too!

That being said, being immersed in a group of brown belts has been really good for my development so far. Everyone has been super friendly and helpful, even when there was something that I couldn't do yet.

Had my first (in a long time anyway) grading last weekend, and graded to 8th kyu. Still a very long way to go, but I am looking forward to becoming better every day!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum, Questor! It sounds like you have found a very good, solid, positive club in which to renew your karate commitment. :karate:

Japan Karate Association (JKA), 1974-1990, Sandan

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to karate!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to the forums Questor and good luck on your martial arts journey!

Karate no michi! :karate:

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Welcome to the site, Questor. I was much in the same boat you were in -- trained for a year or two in my late teens/early 20's, got too busy in my 20's and 30's, and then got back to training in my mid-40's. It's never too late to start back up again, but there are some days that I really wish I hadn't taken those years off :)

Good luck in your training and enjoy the path forward!

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice