• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passing on your obi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some time ago, 2011, my Dai-Soke's wife gave me the obi that he had wore for quite some time daily, after he passed away in 2010.

Just recently I gave my longest student, Steve, one of my obis; I told him to hold onto it for whenever I can come back to the floor. If I can't return to the floor, then I respectfully pass it on to him.

Just last week I passed by oldest obi to my daughter, who was once my student, the obi I wore on the floor to teach, at testing cycles (on and off the testing panel), to demonstrations, and to compete in.

My wife will receive my ceremonial obi when I pass away, which, God willing, won't be for a very long time.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I gave my, I suppose one could say disciple, my old brown-belt when I promoted them to Ikkyu. I have a few students but he is my private student I am passing onto not just Shorin-Ryu but my broader knowledge of Karate and the Martial Arts so I am holding him to quite a high standard.

My instructor gave me an Obi they purchased in Okinawa as a gift. Well I tend to see it through rose-tinted glasses as such but the reality is they had it as a spare, and they did not particularly like the cheap looking black-belt I had received at my shodan grading.

R. Keith Williams

Some time ago, 2011, my Dai-Soke's wife gave me the obi that he wore for quite some time daily after he passed away in 2010.

Just recently I gave my longest student, Steve, one of my obis; I told him to hold onto it for whenever I can come back to the floor. If I can't return to the floor, then I respectfully pass it on to him.

Just last week I passed by oldest obi to my daughter, who was once my student, the obi I wore on the floor to teach, at testing cycles (on and off the testing panel), to demonstrations, and to compete in.

My wife will receive my ceremonial obi when I pass away, which, God willing, won't be for a very long time.

Hope you are able to go back on the floor as soon as possible

Teachers are always learning

Some time ago, 2011, my Dai-Soke's wife gave me the obi that he wore for quite some time daily after he passed away in 2010.

Hope you are able to go back on the floor as soon as possible

Thank you, The Pred; I, too, hope I can one day return to the floor, much sooner than later.

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Not exactly. Back when I was a green belt, I cut my old white belt into pieces that I distributed to a group of kids at an inner city school I did a demonstration at, as sort of keepsakes. At this point, the only belts I still have are the white belt I still use when I train at other people's schools, my Judo green belt, my Shuri-Ryu brown belt, my old Shorin-Ryu brown belt, my current black belt, and my "formal" black belt that my Sensei gifted me (new) when I was promoted to Shodan.

Since I only fairly recently went independent, and the pandemic put a pause on really starting up my dojo, I haven't had the opportunity to train someone up to a belt rank I could pass on the belt for. I suspect I will pass on my brown belt, someday. The formal black belt has sentimental value to me, since my Sensei has passed on, but I may pass on my regular black belt, someday.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I have not done this, but I have known of some black belts that exchanged belts with other black belts, some in other styles, as a sign of respect and friendship. I thought that was pretty cool.

I know people who have done this, giving their belts to their student or often parents gifting their belts to their children.

In Taekwon-Do its less common nowadays as the belts tend to be embroidered with your name.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Theres 2 Belts I will be passing on, My original Black Belt which will go to my wife as we literally met not to long after me be promoted.

The other is my current belt, which will go to my daughter when I pass.