• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training martial art/contact sport at home.

Drillscoach

Let’s talk about training.

Due to the pandemic many gyms are closed. How do you practice your martial art/contact sport while at home? Do you train with a partner? Also what are your options, if you need to be isolated completely alone. If you are not actually training in the art/sport, then what conditioning exercises will you do that develop you as a martial artist?

I know the training varies, it depends what martial art you are practicing, but I am interested in all the different experiences. For example, training in striking arts is quite easily imaginable, but what about grappling? Also looking for new interesting training ideas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training in grappling styles would be difficult. I'm not a grappler at my core, but what I've done in the past is still got on the floor and done some "walking through" of various moves and positions to keep things fresh in my mind. I've done the same of Hapkido in the past.

For my main style, it's pretty easy to rehearse forms and one-steps at home, and I have a standing heavy bag I can work over if I feel the need to.

Training at the school has been ongoing here for quite some time, and there hasn't been a second shutdown for us, so we've been fortunate.

On cross-training note, I've ordered a pair of Kali sticks, and my youngest son and I are going to begin training with those.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm teaching classes online right now via Zoom but even these classes have shifted in focus compared to what I'd do normally. The video classes are much more drill focused. Lots and lots of sparring combos and general fitness than basics and forms.

Solo I have been doing bag work, solo forms and lots and lots of drill work.

My students are obviously not sparring and we won't be able to do so for a few months, but surprisingly they all look like they've improved massively with their kicking ability.

I have friends that study BJJ and they've all been doing online sessions with grappling dummys. Its not perfect but its better than nothing.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius