• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you learn from me with this experience?

ChpsahoySE

I have 1st degree BB in 2 styles of Karate with a combined 5 years experience with MT kickboxing. Would any of you see the value of learning from the experience mentioned? what would my teaching and promoting limitations be? I dont have alot of “competitive” experience but can hold my own and give any opponent a good practice.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Depends on how you market yourself I guess, good that you have experience but many would want to see your classes in person first. Do you have any experience in teaching?

Being a Black belt doesn't always mean you will be a good teacher, and if this is the first time you will be teaching you will find a lot of lessons along the way.

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Ashworth's questions are a good start. I'd be interested in how you plan on presenting your material. Is one of your Karate styles going to form the base, with the Kickboxing and the other style being supplemental? Do you plan on offering courses for all three (together or separate)?

Do you have the ability, as only a first dan, to promote rank? Rank doesn't matter to everyone, but it's important to some prospective students. Do you plan to promote a competitive, sparring-focused school, self-defense, or all-around? The important question for me would be, what is the layout, format, and focus of your classes going to be like?

If you can teach, yes. Otherwise, no.

Who am I to say if you can teach or not?? A prospective student, but as a student, and as a customer, I am the one who decides who I want teaching me anything, especially the MA.

I'd watch no less than 3 classes of each level; beginners, intermediate, and advanced. Teaching ability is everything across the board...demeanor, communication, and effectiveness on and off the floor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If you can teach, yes. Otherwise, no.

Who am I to say if you can teach or not?? A prospective student, but as a student, and as a customer, I am the one who decides who I want teaching me anything, especially the MA.

I'd watch no less than 3 classes of each level; beginners, intermediate, and advanced. Teaching ability is everything across the board...demeanor, communication, and effectiveness on and off the floor.

:)

Solid post, and that is the way it should be.

From their post it sounds like this is them trying to get into teaching, how should they try to attract their first couple of students?

Need to know more really, are you still training under your instructor? If they are happy with you doing it they would have some advice and maybe offer you the chance to help with teaching in your current club to help you develop skills in teaching. Tell your instructor that you have an interest in teaching and see what they say?

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I would have to teach each Karate style separately due to the organizations they fall under having differences in grading/promotion criteria/org membership requirements. I can promote up to brown belt for both styles, black belt ranks would need oversight by governing body for that one of my styles guaranteed; the other styles I have to clarify but I think it was mentioned before that I can award a 1st degree rank. I have the okay from instructors from both styles to teach if I ever decided.

I have led classes for Karate in the absence of the lead instructor for those days they couldn't make it.

regards to kickboxing - I would just incorporate kickboxing drills and strategies into my sparring days for both Karate classes.

I suggest learning how to teach as well as learning karate .

My instructor knows a HEAP of stuff and things I had not encountered previously . He knows a LOT about his particular style , but not about teaching .

I think this comes from the idea of large classes . Traditional Okinawan style was 1 on 1 or in small groups . In that scenario one should teach the student according to what TYPE OF learner they are .

I found some students could just not learn from him . 2 - 3 months later still did not know our 'first' kata . I would do sessions at my place, they would know the kata after 1 session .

The main issue seemed to be , people where getting 'overloaded' - TMI all at once .

Of course, it is also the opposite of that which also causes people to drop out as well - doling out tidbits of info over long time ( and fee ) period , and repetition . Of course repetition is good for training in some ways . but a student needs to have aspiration, some level of excitement , or at least not be bored .

All valid points, for sure, Miick. Everyone learns differently, and it's important to be able to reach all of your students in a way that fulfills their experience.

I once had an experience at a Chito Ryu place. The instructors had tons of information, but couldn’t teach at all and we’re barely capable of demonstrating. They just loved to talk about what they know and what they would to do.

Most notably, the Sensei was having us practice a cool move he saw on YouTube. I was doing holding the position wrong, so he told me to “turn more.” After he repeated himself 5 more times, he became visibly frustrated and just walked away. Every time he repeated himself, I just tried to turn a different part of my body, not understanding what exactly I was supposed to be turning more.

Learn to communicate with your students in different way, have more than one way of saying something, and have patience as an instructor!

Patience ! Definitely !

When I taught students kata ; " I want to see the first 2 moves done 5 times, no mistake . When thats done , add a move - and do them 5 times , not mistake . Even a mistake on the last one , nope - I want to see it 5 times no mistake then add another move .... and so on.

They learn very quick . most of the time . But one has to be very patient when teaching this way . Also supply hints , and things for a 'memory jog' at places they might get stuck and summarize the pattern - eg, 3 moves this way, turn, 3 moves that way , turn, 5 up the middle etc .

Coincidentally , at training this morning, one of the guys that had real trouble learning kata a while back and I taught him with this method , and he has been absent for months - but he still knows it .