• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't call yourself sensei!

I'd like to agree with Jesse Enkamp on this, but there's a problem with that: how do we know to use that word when addressing a particular person in the first place?  There are two ways

1.  We were told to address the instructor as "sensei."

2.  We saw other deshi addressing the instructor as "sensei," and followed along.  But even then, there had to be a point in time when the dojo first opened that there were no other deshi to observe using the term "sensei."  So how did it start?  See #1

Edited by KorroddyDude

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't refer to myself as sensei, and, I use 'Kancho' when it comes to any reference needed. Some interpret this as being grandiose, but it's the opposite. This is my position, and others choose whether to call me sensei. 

However, I maintain a student-teacher relationship with all my students, and while I have strong friendships, I don't create friends at the dojo. This is how I was taught, and it's how I find it best to operate (and I do the same as an educator).

I would expect that my students attach an appropriate honorific in all our correspondence, because to me, Karate isn't an activity, it's a way of life. If they don't identify with that, I've no issue. There are many dojo. 

Edited by RJCKarate

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

2nd Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

I kept the crux of the formality whenever it was required of it. Away from that, I was just plain old Bob whenever students spoke to me because I just don't like the stuffiness that the dojo pageantry can cause. That's just me. Students tend to relax far much more to learn and train better whenever they don't have to "perform" for the sake of satisfying the formality.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

On 10/17/2024 at 5:11 AM, Nidan Melbourne said:

Students who see me outside of class, tend to have difficulty separating me from the dojo and as an instructor. Unless I am friends with the person then they have no issue with addressing me as just Liam. 

I prefer this outside of the training hall.  The previous CI and owner of our school started a "policy" some time back of bowing to the instructor even when seeing them outside of class in public.  I HATE this, and I tell students not to bow to me in public.  Especially when I'm working.  I don't want that kind of attention, and I think it's a foolish practice.