• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata names

The Pred

Hey, hope everyone's training is going good. Not sure of this should go here or somewhere else.

Two questions

1. Has anyone made up their own kata/drill

2. If so how did you come up with a name (if you did)

Thanks!

Teachers are always learning

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, as a JBB. In the dawning of musical Kata, competitors at those tournaments created, made-up, their own Kata to the music of their choice within the prescribed time limits.

Just made it up at the spare of the moment; usually right before it was time to bow-in. For the longest, before the newness of it all fell away, I used Te-Fu-Do-Geri...which doesn't mean a darn thing, but as a JBB, it sounded pretty darn cool.

Those were the days.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yes, as a JBB. In the dawning of musical Kata, competitors at those tournaments created, made-up, their own Kata to the music of their choice within the prescribed time limits.

Just made it up at the spare of the moment; usually right before it was time to bow-in. For the longest, before the newness of it all fell away, I used Te-Fu-Do-Geri...which doesn't mean a darn thing, but as a JBB, it sounded pretty darn cool.

Those were the days.

Te-Fu-Do-Geri sounds pretty awesome, is it a required kata at your dojo?

Teachers are always learning

Those were the days.

Te-Fu-Do-Geri sounds pretty awesome, is it a required kata at your dojo?

No. Like I mentioned in my first post in this topic, it's a made up kata and made up name for musical kata's at tournaments in the early 1970's. I suppose that Te Fu Do Geri might mean, but I strongly doubt that, because I made it up...

Te = Hand

Fu = Gentle

Do = Way

Geri = Kick/Feet

The Way of the Gentle Hand and Feet

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Doesn't "geri" mean "kick"?

Indeed it does!

There's a running joke in our dojo. By itself, "Keri" means kick. When used with an adjective, it becomes "Mae-Geri", "Sokusen Geri", "Mawashi-Geri", etc.

"Geri" by itself means "diarrhea", and the Okinawan masters will laugh at you if you try to use it (by itself) to say kick.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Indeed it does!

There's a running joke in our dojo. By itself, "Keri" means kick. When used with an adjective, it becomes "Mae-Geri", "Sokusen Geri", "Mawashi-Geri", etc.

"Geri" by itself means "diarrhea", and the Okinawan masters will laugh at you if you try to use it (by itself) to say kick.

Now that is interesting. How unfortunate for those not in the know!

Indeed it does!

You beat me to that one. It was all I could think of when I originally read it :)

Edit: while we’re at it, Kancho also means enema, in addition to the MA meaning.