• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"new" old fart karateka

PerKr

Hi everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself first and start asking questions later.

I'm an old fart, let's just get that over with. At 40 years old, that's just the way it is. May not be that old for a master black belt but for someone like me it definitely is.

My martial arts background? Well, back in the mid 90's I joined one of the local karate clubs and stayed with this club for about 5 years I think. Practice was 2-3 times per week. After those first years my attendance was sporadic as I went to university about a 100 miles away, then had kids and life just became too busy while I had also found that I didn't enjoy the practice as much when my original sensei wasn't there as often anymore. While I enjoyed kata, and I recall us practicing katas like bassai dai, kanku dai and kanku sho despite my lowly kyu rank, kumite just wasn't something I ever enjoyed. The direction it took simply didn't suit me. It probably didn't help failing graduations while seeing higher graded practitioners with questionable form.

So here I am, about 20 years after I last visited the dojo, wanting to take up karate again. And very specifically I want to take up shotokan. And I find that my old club was disbanded many years ago as the senseis didn't have the time, there weren't enough students and so on. Similarly, the shotokan club in the neighbouring city has also been disbanded and the closest club is an hour and a half away. So I look at alternatives and there's a Kyukushin club in the neighbouring city but practice collides with choir practice (don't laugh, it has been very good to me so I'm not giving that up) as well as life in general (kids, working on the house). There's aikido available in our old dojo so maybe I'll look into that when the next beginner class starts.

Anyway here I am, not seeing any option other than to practice with myself at home (and anywhere else that's convenient) if I want to get back to and retain the level of skill I had. I know I can do it but it will be challenging considering I also want to improve my form and correct whatever errors I had, some (hikite and stance issues) of which I have been told of while failing graduations, others of which I hope to capture on camera, so that if the opportunity presents itself I can pretty much continue, and advance, from where I once left off. Until that opportunity presents itself I'll be the eternal whitebelt (which I am fine with, I do this for myself and would gladly stay with a white belt until I have earned a black belt even if I was back with my old club).

On here, I hope to find advice on exercises, literature, videos, equipment and anything that furthers the goal set above.

Lots of text, hopefully I don't come across as a complete fool :D

Edited by PerKr

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome PerKr. My story is a bit similar to yours. I trained some GoJu Ryu karate in my youth, and then later some Judo and Shaolin Kempo, but then completely dropped out. I did try some Aikido at some point, but did not really like it.

I picked up Kyokushin karate a year ago at the tender age of 48. It can be a bit tough sometimes, knowing that no matter what I try, I won't ever be able to keep up with all those 20 somethings, many of whom started Kyokushin as kids. But I decided, I don't have to be better than them. I just have to be better than yesterday.

I hope you find a place to train that you like.

40? Young fella!!!!! Welcome to KF, and thanks for sharing your story. No foolish questions mate, just hit us up.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford