• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you proudly display your Dan rank within your household?

Journyman74

1.Do you proudly display your Dan diploma in your home? Or does anybody store them away for safe keeping etc..

Yes, on the wall in the living room :)

2.Would you consider that Dan diploma as high of value and worthy to place next to a college degree or occupational license/certificate?

My Dan certificate is the only one hanging on the wall. I don't display any of my academic, professional, or vocational qualifications.

For me, what I have put into my martial arts training, I would definitely say that it is comparable to my Bachelor and Masters degrees, if not more so.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 years since this topic was started by Journyman74, things with me have changed. Such as, I no longer have a dojo. For personal reasons, I've taken down both my current Dan rank and my Hanshi from my bedroom wall. They both are now tucked neatly inside the filing cabinet in my bedroom walk-in closet.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

4 years since this topic was started by Journyman74, things with me have changed. Such as, I no longer have a dojo. For personal reasons, I've taken down both my current Dan rank and my Hanshi from my bedroom wall. They both are now tucked neatly inside the filing cabinet in my bedroom walk-in closet.

Is there any particular reason you've done that, Bob?

Like I said, personal reasons!! I’m not ashamed of them at all. I’m not ashamed of myself at all!! I don’t need them hanging up in my home. Like I said, personal reasons. Hopefully, I’ve still your respect.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

For me, what I have put into my martial arts training, I would definitely say that it is comparable to my Bachelor and Masters degrees, if not more so.

As someone who has both a Bachelor and Masters degree, I agree that it is comparable, if less expensive (but maybe only barely!). It's about the time and love that I put into it. I put a lot of time and love into my college degrees, sure, but I think that the love I have for martial arts is far greater. 23 years later, and I'm still trying to improve. It's a journey that (thankfully) will never be completed. Belief systems aside, if there is an afterlife, or a heaven, I hope that there are martial arts there.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Like I said, personal reasons!! I’m not ashamed of them at all. I’m not ashamed of myself at all!! I don’t need them hanging up in my home. Like I said, personal reasons. Hopefully, I’ve still your respect.

Of course, Bob! :D

I have my Dan Grade Certificates in a folder. I have only a couple of my Kyu Grade Certificates, as I never really thought about keeping them. But now I regret not keeping them (especially my 8th Kyu Certificate; as it was the first one I received).

My Kyu Grade Belts are tied up and at a Holiday House down in Portsea. I just have to find space in one of the rooms to hang them up.

My variety of Black Belts tbh are kinda floating around the house; along with the one I wear the most in my bag.

I have my Dan Grade Certificates in a folder. I have only a couple of my Kyu Grade Certificates, as I never really thought about keeping them. But now I regret not keeping them (especially my 8th Kyu Certificate; as it was the first one I received).

I've got a lot of my certificates in a notebook in those clear plastic pages; the one's that fit, anyway. Others are framed up. It's fun to flip through it now and again, and see those dates from all those years ago.

My variety of Black Belts tbh are kinda floating around the house; along with the one I wear the most in my bag.

I've got a few of my black belts tied up around in my basement right now. The one I currently wear I leave in my locker at the gym.