• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you proudly display your Dan rank within your household?

Journyman74

Martial arts rank and achievement certificates are the same as academic qualifications and diplomas for me. Both are some of the most important and valuable personal documents. They must be protected and kept away from dirt and damage. Each one is enclosed in a protective sleeve or frame and locked away where they can be found whenever originals are needed.

The ones hanging on the wall are copies. They are all a source of pride in important achievements and a reminder of how much was learned. They are also there to remind myself of how much more there is to learn. It’s all for myself because other people who might see them will not know, understand or care what they mean. That’s why they aren’t anywhere a casual observer might see

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my old belts are kept in a closet (current belt kept in Dojo bag) and my rank certificates are kept in a drawer so no, based on looking around the house you would not even know I had any experience with martial arts.

Karate never was something to be shown off or displayed to anyone.

Can you quote Kanga Sakugawa or Arakaki Seisho ever saying this, for reasons OTHER than being found out by the Shimazu?

History:

Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, 2019 - 2023: Rokkyu

Shotokan, 2023 - Present: Yonkyu

Judo, 2023: Novice

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt

I have a range of qualifications up in my home office - Martial arts, academic, professional. I enjoy having the visual reminder of the work they've taken, despite there always being more to learn.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

• 2 weeks later...

All of my martial art certificates are just kept in a plastic wallet folder, keeps them all in one place. Including my dan grade certificates, I don't discriminate, grading certificates from when I was a child are kept in the same folder as Dan grades :)

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

All of my martial art certificates are just kept in a plastic wallet folder, keeps them all in one place. Including my dan grade certificates, I don't discriminate, grading certificates from when I was a child are kept in the same folder as Dan grades :)

Same with me. The main reason I don't have my dan grades in a notebook is because they are too big, and a frame protects them nicely.

My current rank and qualifications are hung up in my home office. but nothing in the rest of the house. I'd consider it on the same level as my university degree... took as much time and effort.

AGREED!

Mine is hung in my "man cave", along with my college diploma, dojo charter, some pictures and a couple of plaques.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 2 weeks later...
1.Do you proudly display your Dan diploma in your home? Or does anybody store them away for safe keeping etc..

2.Would you consider that Dan diploma as high of value and worthy to place next to a college degree or occupational license/certificate?

I don't have them up right now, but I have usually hung them up in my office or bedroom. I don't have a college degree, and while I have a couple professional certifications, I don't have those hung up--I have either hung them up at work or I keep them in a safe. I think it's less about importance and more about the "vibe." When I have the certificates hung up, I generally have them accompanied by artwork and weapons to create a martial arts display wall, of sorts. IT certifications just don't fit that vibe :lol:

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I have mine hung up in my home office, where my college degrees are (at least, on the same wall if not close). For me, these certificates are something for me to enjoy. I like the way it looks, but also I like the representation of my hard work. As a general rule, I don't value the papers of my achievements very highly. I value the experience that led me to those peaks. Therefore, it does not bother me if a dan certificate is next to my diplomas. They're both fun things to hang, but I wouldn't assign them any axiomatic value.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I have mine hung up in my home office, where my college degrees are (at least, on the same wall if not close). For me, these certificates are something for me to enjoy. I like the way it looks, but also I like the representation of my hard work. As a general rule, I don't value the papers of my achievements very highly. I value the experience that led me to those peaks. Therefore, it does not bother me if a dan certificate is next to my diplomas. They're both fun things to hang, but I wouldn't assign them any axiomatic value.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!