• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My New Fight; Prostate Cancer

sensei8

Thank you, Patrick, Danielle, and Brian!!

I'm still trying to figure out how that cost can be so justified. This time they used Eligard (leuprolide acetate) 30mg instead of just Leuprolid; Eligard is the generic of Leuprolid. Leuprolid is given once ever 3 months, and Eligard, in my case, is given once every 4 months. Could costs be due to where my Oncologist is a resident at...Comprehensive Cancer Center, and not some state hospital, like in Houston. Of course, I'm guessing. :-?

Still, why so much??

I forgot to mention that I'm also back at taking BICALUTAMIDE 50mg. This is the pill that I took my very first month of treatments; I take it once a day.

The one thing that resurfaces in my mind is that statistic that my survival rate is 5 years from diagnosis...that might mean I've 3 years and 8 months to live. Whether that's my case or not, that statistic floats in my mind oftentimes. :cry:

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending positive thoughts your way Bob. Don't dwell on the statistics, stay positive.
Agreed. Try your hardest to not dwell on that. Instead, focus on living, every day of your life!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Saw my Oncologist, Dr. Goodman, yesterday; all well, and he's no immediate concerns and/or worries. PSA numbers are still at 0.4, and that's good because stable is far then raising.

Informed Dr. Goodman of the Radiation Therapy Consultation is October 5, 2021 at 8am. He tells me that while we've not been able to do any CT Scans yet, he's confident that the Radiation Oncologist team will order the CT. I told Dr. Goodman while that's hopeful, I can't deny my doubts in this regards because sometimes my Co-Pay is way far more than I can afford....thus no treatments/tests/procedures. I'm praying that my insurance will pay for ALL of my Radiation Therapy!!

Talked to Dr. Goodman about something that's been bothering me lately about Survival Rate. While there's a 5 year survival rate after being diagnosed, which means I've only less than 4 years....that's one study. The other study states that "most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it". Dr. Goodman stated that his goal is for me to see my 80's and beyond, and has strong belief in that. I feel good about that! I do become overwhelmed often and I break down and sob.

I asked Dr. Goodman about remission and he stated that we're a few months away from talking about that. I feel good about that too!

I also handed over my medical records from Houston LBJ Hospital, this is where I was diagnosed and treated whenever I lived in Houston, to Dr. Goodman, and he was glad to finally have them.

I'll see Dr. Goodman in a month.

:)

Sounds like you've got some positives in there, Bob! Hang tough, and I'll continue to pray for you!

Yes the visit with Dr. Goodman was uplifting. Thank you for your continued prayers, Brian!!

:D

UPDATE:

How can one tell when a doctor is being truthful or not? When one knows for sure, please let me know because this overwhelming roller coaster is uncalled for. My latest post was so promising, and now, this post seems to have taken a sour turn away from promising.

Today, I visited my Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Becker, and what Dr. Becker told me this morning are contradictive from what every PCP, Urologist, and Oncologists have expressed to me during these past 15 months...I'll die but not from Prostate Cancer.

According to Dr. Becker, once I expressed what I've been assured in the past, is NOT true due to a new study. Men who are diagnosed with Stage 4 Prostate Cancer...WILL DIE FROM IT!!!!! My Prostate Cancer is NOT curable!! Dr. Becker says I'm in remission, however, Dr. Goodman says that that's months away...whom do I believe and trust!?

This new information sends me into a bawling session right in the exam room!! 3 years and 8 months is what I might have left to live, per the statistics...5 year survival rate. Yeah, that's way off base from what I've been/being told by various doctors. If I can't trust a doctor, then who can I?!?

The rotten cheery on the top is that Dr. Becker informs me that if I couldn't afford the CT Scan co-pays, then there's no way I can pay for Radiation Therapy whatsoever; it's very expensive. For example, Radiation Therapy can last 2-9 weeks, 5 days a week, can cost me $100.00 per day or $500.00 per week...payments are due at the time of service...NO PAYMENT PLANS!!

Once again, money before patient care!!

20/20 hindsight has given me one gut shot after another ever since I moved to Las Vegas. Had I stayed in Houston, not one procedure/treatment/etc. would've been denied, and more affordable. My co-pay at the LBJ Hospital in Houston was $100 once every 3 months. When I had Molina Insurance in Texas, my Radiation Therapy was approved to have it paid in full 100% by Molina!! But not with HPN in Nevada!!

Btw, the boil I had on my left forearm shows it was cancerous, but they got it all out...I hope so!! Dr. Becker praised our kitten for discovering my Skin Cancer, had the kitten hadn't scratched me in that particular spot on my left forearm.

Funny thing is that my Dermatologist stated to me that it would be about 2 weeks for biopsy results, and that his office would call me with the results. Yet, no one called me from his office. Yet, Dr. Becker had the results. Strange.

:cry:

That's a crazy roller coaster ride, Bob. If I were you, I'd hold onto the positive information you've been giving; dwelling on the negative will not help anything. Keep fighting; above all else, keep fighting!