• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My New Fight; Prostate Cancer

sensei8

It's good to have some good news!

Yes it is; my anxiety needs a hug from time to time.

Doctor this morning was very pleased with how well I was responding to the treatments thus far. So pleased that the Radiation can be put off until I move to Las Vegas on April 26th. That means that I need to find all of my doctors asap when I get to Vegas.

:)

This is great news! Do your current doctors perhaps have some recommendations, or can make referrals to doctors in Vegas, to get you set up with them prior to moving there?

No, unfortunately. Everyone of my doctors whenever I first asked them for references, they would just tell me that they can't offer me any referrals outside of Texas because they concentrate on their immediate county. I even spoke to my social workers, and they told me the same thing...but they did give me a $100 American Express card.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well, usually I'm quite thorough with my investigations no matter the topic. Especially when my life depends on it. Seems that I dropped the wrecking ball...right on my head and foot.

I'm suppose to have my 4th LEUPROLID shot this Friday on May 28th, 2021...suppose to. That, as well as, the Radiation treatments will have to be put on the back burner for a very quick pause.

The medical insurance I once HAD when I lived in Texas, Molina, which pretty much paid for 90% of my medical bills for my treatments, isn't accepted in Nevada; Molina is only accepted in about 10 states; Nevada is not one of those states that accept Molina.

So I left a great treatment plan and medical insurance in Texas, for what ended up being the unknown in Nevada. For 3 exhausting weeks, my wife and I searched for medical insurance, but to no avail. One phone call turned into another phone call, which turned into another suggested place to call. One application turned into one denial after another. I burned up my phone and laptop in the vigilant search for medical insurance.

Adding me to my wife's medical insurance from her new job would cost us over $1K per month. I've always said, money over patient care!! Doctors have said since day one, I will die one day, but NOT from prostate cancer!! I was starting to see that prognosis is reverse.

One turn down...one denial...one refusal...one dashed hope after another. I was quite overwhelmed, and the corner of not having any medical insurance that I was painting myself in was getting smaller my the day.

I spoke with my Oncologist, and we had set a plan. I can, even though not highly recommended, delay treatment for a quite very short time. I needed to get my medical records asap, but that's what it is, and I also needed an appointment for a Medical Oncologist asap.

At each failed attempt to secure medical insurance, I was starting to see a dismal short future for me without any hope. My roller-coaster ride that I was on caused me to bawl and bawl. At each and every dark turn, I'd drop to my knees and cry out loud for God's help.

Medicaid denied me! SSDI is a long and winding road; a road that I needed instant assistance. I'm to young for Medicare.

I was running out of places to turn to for any assistance. Social Workers that were sympathetic and heartfelt, and I appreciated their shoulder for me to cry upon. One Cancer Center can give me a price for a consultation of $10K...for just consultation.

3 weeks!! 3 sadden weeks!! 3 unproductive weeks!!

Friday might be here, but Sunday's coming!! God answered our prayers!!

Nevada Health Link Marketplace!! I qualify with my 2-3 Life Changing Events, Tax Credits, and with Gods blessings!!

Yesterday night, my wife, Linda and I FINALLY secured Medical Insurance as well as Dental Insurance, and with our Tax Credits, my monthly cost is ZERO, and my co-pay is very low. The new Medical Insurance will bein on July 1st!! However, this is all depending on our Income Verification; which I don't foresee any difficulties. Everything is in God's hands!!

So, now I wait for final approval, and then the Medical Insurance Cards, and then, visiting a new Oncologist so that my treatments can resume; the sooner the better!!

Thank you, God!!

I'm glad that you've secured insurance, Bob. Still, it stinks you have to wait. What do your doctors say about the delay?

Doctors don't like it. However, they say that the delay isn't idea, nor is it avoidable; just need to secure all necessary doctors asap...the sooner the better. I'll be fine just as long as I'm seen by an Oncologist in an immediate proactivity.

• 4 weeks later...

My Medical Cards came in today in the mail; effective July 1st. Tomorrow I'll be making several doctor appointments!! Such a big load off my mind; 1 month behind from receiving my shot; have to see a PCP for a referral to a Medical Oncologist...then the shot.