• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Build my own Bo

Bulltahr

OK, so I enjoy working with wood, I have some Japanese maple drying ATM which I will convert into Nunchuka sometime, but I am interested in making my own bo, are there any guidelines for dimensions etc? How much taper, diameter, length etc?

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd simply say that the guidelines are determined by the practitioner if the practitioner is doing the actual producing. If, and you're not, producing for mass market, then a lot of the guidelines should be normal and acceptable guidelines of what's in the market currently. What's in the market now, can provide quite a lot of ideas; a starting point, at least.

However, being a practitioner, is valuable to the market because of serious familiarity of the Bo; what a practitioner likes in a Bo is already there. Tweak here, tweak there, to not be an ordinary Bo, but a effective Bo.

Material can make all of the difference in its success and effectiveness.

If I was to ever make my own Bo, I'd more than like likely want the Bo to be like the Bo Bruce wielded in Enter the Dragon. It has that appearance, strength, flexibility, and fit.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The typical bo is about 6 ft long, isn't it? The only thing I can think to change is messing with the ideal thickness of the bo, based on the size of your hands.

The typical bo is about 6 ft long, isn't it? The only thing I can think to change is messing with the ideal thickness of the bo, based on the size of your hands.

Yes, normally a Bo is 6 feet long.

There are many toothpick Bo's in the market, and they allow for a lot of faster than normal twirls/spins with the Bo for competitions and the like. Depending on the material, a toothpick Bo could stand up to what it's designed to do, and not break up in a dozen pieces at impact.

I think the toothpick bo was designed specifically for competition, was it not? I think I'd rather build one that is the normal circumference, but that's just my preference.

I think the toothpick bo was designed specifically for competition, was it not? I think I'd rather build one that is the normal circumference, but that's just my preference.

Yes, the toothpick Bo was designed for competition mainly. Yet, I have seen many Kobudo practitioners disregard the normal Bo for the impressive spinning/twirling abilities of the toothpick Bo because it's better to show off to students than teach the normal size/weight Bo.

I've found a bit on youtube, looks like I'll have to find a spoke shave and it will pretty much be done by hand, not lathe. I'm going to try and use some medium density wood that can take the knocks without bruising too easily, but doesn't weigh too much, not interested in the toothpick style for doing the dance moves et al. music etc , it will be for kata and sparring.

I'd love to see your finished product, Bulltahr. I'd like to make me a Bo of my own, but I've not the necessary skills whatsoever; I can't nail two pieces of wood together where it'll look like something recognizable.

I'd love to see your finished product, Bulltahr. I'd like to make me a Bo of my own, but I've not the necessary skills whatsoever; I can't nail two pieces of wood together where it'll look like something recognizable.

I'll be sure to add a pic here for your keen eye Bob, it's probably 4-6 mths out as I have to stay focused on shodan grading at this time.