• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The COVID-19 Martial Arts Movie Marathon!

The other night, I took in a double-feature. I started with the classic, Bloodsport. Regardless of whether or not the accounts of the real-life Frank Dux are true or not, the movie is very entertaining.

I finished off with another classic, Lone Wolf McQuade. It's probably the first Chuck Norris movie I ever watched, and I always love going back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found Ninja assassin on Netflix a few nights ago, still don't know how I managed to watch the whole thing! Shogun assassin was pretty good a few weeks ago and some crazy Japanese movie with more swords and gore than I have seen in a long time. "Blade of the immortal" wasn't as cheezy as the name suggests....

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

I've not watched the Ip Man series. Is it worthwhile?

The best 2 are 1 and 2, they go downhill a bit from there. The different wushu styles showcased in Ip Man 2 was interesting to see.

I like a good storyline as well as action and there are some real gems that have come out of China. Apart from Hero (My all time number 1), here are some other good ones, 14 Blades, Fearless, Reign of Assassins (With Michelle Yao as Drizzle, so named as that is the sound that her opponents blood makes by the time she has finished with them). The flying swords of dragon gate.

Basically, if you enjoyed "Crouching tiger, hidden dragon" then likely you will enjoy these also.

I've got a huge list, if you like the style and don't mind subtitles, I'll add more titles later.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into some of those.

This may come across as blasphemous by a Martial Artist, but I've never seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The wire work just never appealed to me.

The other night I partook in the John Wick trilogy. But wait, you ask, is John Wick an MA movie? Why yes, yes it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I took in a classic the other night, Lethal Weapon. Not what I would consider an MA movie, per se, but, an interesting note is that Rorion and Royce Gracie worked on the fight choreography for the movie. In the fight scene at the end, Riggs slaps Mr. Joshua in a triangle choke....this done well before we saw UFC 1.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched a few over the past few weeks, all for the umpteenth time:

1. Street fighter (Sonny Chiba not JCVD)

2. Kill Bill 1 & 2

3. Under Siege

4. John Wick (is it a martial arts movie?)

5. The Last Samurai

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

2. Kill Bill 1 & 2

3. Under Siege

5. The Last Samurai

Mo.

John Wick is definitely a martial arts movie...and one of the best (all 3 of them, but the third one being the best of the 3).

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

2. Kill Bill 1 & 2

3. Under Siege

5. The Last Samurai

Mo.

John Wick is definitely a martial arts movie...and one of the best (all 3 of them, but the third one being the best of the 3).

I wasn’t so keen on the third as much as the others. Not to say I didn’t enjoy it because I did, just thought the other two were better. Fourth one out next year too along with a fourth Matrix instalment. Definitely be watching them.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

I tried to watch Ip Man 4 last night, but 5 minutes into it, I turned it off; reading a movie just turns me off because I miss a lot what's on the screen while I'm reading. If I wanted to read a movie, I'd download the transcript, and read it. Maybe one day they'll dub some English so I can watch that movie...maybe.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!