• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting Kata/Forms

With Covid-19 taking the world hostage. And my sheer craziness with the dojo being closed, I’ve being training and home and looking at various kata/forms on YouTube.

With that, I happened to watch some of the Peter Urban USA Goju Kata. Which I found to be uhh highly interesting. As their forms were rather different to what I would normally expect to see.

They got me thinking, are there any forms/kata that you have learnt or seen from another style or another “version” of your style that you have seen?

For me it was from the aforementioned style and their interpretation of Suparinpei.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am also interested to see the different Naihanchi kata from other forms. This is our first three, and most fundamental, kata (Shodan, Nidan, and Sandan), so I am always curious to see how different it is across the styles.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

In Stuart Anslow's Encyclopedia of Taekwon-do Patterns, he has the Global TKD Federation (GTF) forms listed, and some of those are pretty crazy long, with lots of different kicking combinations. They do intrigue me, but I honestly don't think I could do them well.

I learned the KishimotoDi versions of Naihanchi, Passai, and Kusanku, which are definitely recognizable but quite different from the versions I learned in Chibana-lineage Shorin-Ryu. I also had a sort of reverse situation, where I learned weirdly modified versions of Wansu, Sanchin, Tensho, and Seiyunchin, and then later adjusted them to be more like the versions I had seen in other styles that I preferred.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I learned the KishimotoDi versions of Naihanchi, Passai, and Kusanku, which are definitely recognizable but quite different from the versions I learned in Chibana-lineage Shorin-Ryu. I also had a sort of reverse situation, where I learned weirdly modified versions of Wansu, Sanchin, Tensho, and Seiyunchin, and then later adjusted them to be more like the versions I had seen in other styles that I preferred.

I've actually considered attempting this in the past. Right now, with thoughts of testing in the sometime future, I don't want to take on any new curriculum, but once that's passed, I've thought of toying with this idea.

• 1 month later...

Try these: Pinan Nidan, though not like you will ever have seen it.

It's our version of Pinan Nidan, taught that way to my old sensai, in a rural club in the late 70s. He's kept it going like this in our organisation, and, after I took the club over, had to keep teaching it that way as it's what the members knew. I like it, I have to say. It's a nice kata, though it's not Pinan Nidan, nor any other kata I've ever seen.

I'm doing the videos for the kids in the club so they can learn it during the lockdown.