• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryu and Goju Ryu at the same time

6.5 yrs training Goju Ryu (7th kyu, brown) and on a long pause for advancement for non skill reasons I am trying very hard to work out with head Sensei (yes personality conflict with him, no issues with other instructors) .... frustrated thinking I might want to leave Goju Ryu dojo I tried a local Shorin Ryu dojo and loved it.

Training both for the last two months, Shorin Ryu Sensei very patient with me trying to learn punches and kicks and stances all new to me and the katas are very different ..... and I am being very careful to not mix the two disciplines.

Shorin Ryu Sensei is okay with me doing both ..... Goju Ryu Sensei not okay we me adding new.

Have any of you trained two traditional Okinawa disciplines at the same time? BTW I practice both daily.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brown belt is 7th kyu in your dojo? That seems backwards, to me.

To answer your question, though, I have trained in both Shorin-Ryu and KishimotoDi, simultaneously, and I work some Goju-Ryu kata, as well. The thing is, I maintain Shorin-Ryu as my core style, and my instructor didn't have a problem with crossover. By training two styles at once, they are going to bleed into each other, no matter how hard you try to prevent it, and if your instructor isn't okay with some of that happening, you're going to have trouble.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Brown is normally 3rd Kyu - 1st Kyu.

I've not trained in two Okinawan styles simultaneously, just cross trained via seminars and/or just visiting; I've only trained in one Okinawan style these past 55 years.

As Wastelander points out, especially at first, they'll bleed together, and Goju will try to take over because of that muscle memory. Oh, it can be done, but that discipline is already ingrained in you.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

maybe I am terming the kyu wrong (White, yellow, orange, blue, purple, green, brown, black).

Goju Ryu is absolutely muscle memory (6.5 years its been MY LIFE, eat sleep breath karate) and makes the Shorin Ryu movements more difficult, that is part of what I like (a challenge) ... to me a challenge is refreshing. I also like that the new Sensei sees things that also help improve my goju ryu (like he picked up I was not returning kicks to chamber, ... and not always keeping my shoulders straight forward when in a front fighting stance (which is incorrect for both disiplines).

The Shorin Ryu Sensei is not upset at all that he sees Goju Ryu, he just points it out, and comments when he sees me try and getting better.

yeah thanks, I am prob going to have to decide between the two dojos at some point :-(

It would be an easy decision for me. If the other instructor is going to be more welcoming, helpful, and not be a personality conflict, then that's the answer I'd go for.

You have to be happy wherever you train. Otherwise, the learning is suffered through an through; students must concentrate on learning and not why the CI isn't at least affable at all.

Go where you'll be the happiest across the board!! After all, it's your journey...and your money.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!