• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Specialty Classes?

As instructors and/or school operators, do any of you have any kind of "specialty" classes that you run?

For example, we have our "traditional" classes that consist of basics, forms, one-step, and sparring work. These are the classes that are geared toward learning the testing curriculum. These classes provide the roots of our syllabus to the students, and they are required for students to attend.

We also offer some other classes. We have a black belt only class once a week (after a traditional class), and we have a kicking class once a week (also follows a traditional class).

In schools I've been a part of in the past, we've had a separate sparring class.

What kind of specialty classes do others here offer? Self-defense or bunkai classes? Sparring? Kicking or striking? I'm interested in what other teachers provide to their students, and am also looking for ideas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is how our schedule lines up:

Wednesdays = Focus on the basics...punching, kicking, stances, break falls, hand exercises.

Fridays = Self Defense, Tuite Jutsu, Kyusho Jutsu

Saturdays = Kata

Additionally, on the the first and last Tuesday of each month we have class focusing on Kobudo (weapons).

Once a quarter, we do a Kata Marathon class on Saturdays. Each student performs 20 repetitions of each kata that he knows. This can take a while.

About 4 times a year (in the summer), we have Saturday class at the park instead of the Dojo.

Once a year we have a Seminar (8 hours on Saturday, 4 hours on Sunday) where we get the head of the Association to visit, as well as many other out of towners. The focus of this seminar varies.

I am thinking about adding in a reality based self defense class twice a year in 2020. This will be done in street clothes somewhere outside of the Dojo.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

Well, when I start my program in the Spring, I will just have general classes, but that's because I'll still be getting it off the ground. I will probably add in some specialty classes, over time.

The dojo I have been at for the past 9 years does quite a few specialty classes, because it has so MANY classes per week, divided up amongst the various instructors. There are "little warriors" classes for the 3-5 year olds, and then we have youth beginner classes and adult beginner classes. Intermediate and advanced classes are all ages, but limited by rank. There are separate classes that specifically focus on kata, kobudo, and kumite, as well as one tournament-focused class per week. Every now and then, they run extra specialty classes for several weeks, such as a "CrossKick" or "Boot Camp" type of class. Soon, one of our brown belts will be running a specialty class for the deaf and HOH.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Our CI has classes broken down by rank and age. We have kids classes (4-6), youth beginner/intermediate/advanced (7-12 years), and adult (13+) classes. For all of the full-time karate students, he offers a once a week sparring class. He also runs a Matayoshi Kobudo (3 classes a week) and Aikido (2 classes a week) program.

From what I've seen, his classes run in 3 month cycles (or so). During the course of the cycle, he'll have a class or two that focuses on ukemi and the "hidden" throws in our kata and two-person drills, a class or two focused on kicking, a class or two on joint locking, a few classes for sparring, and a few other "specialty" classes. The rest of the classes follow (more or less) the standard formula of junbi undo, hojo undo, sanchin, rank-specific work, and kata.

Oh, and about once a month he has a "cleanup and conditioning" day where all the students help clean the dojo and then do conditioning work.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Of course, all of the "specialty classes" are built into our curriculum. From time to time I'll invite styles outside of Shindokan to conduct 2-3 day seminars, and those Instructors decide what they;d like to teach at any given seminar for my approval.

Subjects that can be found built into our curriculum to mention a few would be:

Tuite

Close Range Management

Kobudo

Bunkai/Kata

Kyusho Jitsu

Striking Techniques [boshi-Ken, to mention just one; my most favorite strike]

Uke

...and our newest rage of the page...

Self-Defense [i'm still trying this, even though the old dog in me is still having a hard time learning new tricks]

No matter the focus, Resistant Live Training is paramount in our training without any exceptions 24/7!! NO COMPLIANT TRAINING whatsoever once said technique has been taught!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Boshiken and sokusen (geri) are staples of our style :) I just need to take more time to seriously condition for the sokusen geri. I'd do fine hitting squishy parts with it, but I"d do more damage to myself right now if I struck something hard.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Fridays = Self Defense, Tuite Jutsu, Kyusho Jutsu

I would be interested in the structure of these classes; how you order them, spend time with drills, etc.

Additionally, on the the first and last Tuesday of each month we have class focusing on Kobudo (weapons).

In this class, is the focus on weapons kata, or weapon-on-weapon work?

Tuite

Close Range Management

Kobudo

Bunkai/Kata

Kyusho Jitsu

Uke

Bob, would each of these specialties fall into classes of their own, or would they overlap into one class, or a few classes?

At the moment I just break the classes down into age and then beginner vs advanced. At my old dojang they used to have sparring classes and pad work / circuits classes but these were as add ons to your main class and not a replacement for. What I want to do eventually is a workshop series every month or every other month where we do a more focused class on something as an add on to the main classes. Like have a sparring workshop, or a hosin sul workshop or strength and conditioning workshop.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Tuite

Close Range Management

Kobudo

Bunkai/Kata

Kyusho Jitsu

Uke

Bob, would each of these specialties fall into classes of their own, or would they overlap into one class, or a few classes?

Yes, in each regards. I've made my curriculum in such a way that these subjects can be treated across the board; separate or together or as a seminar.

The weekend you and I trained we covered a plethora of subjects from both TKD and Shindokan....not as a seminar but more of an overlay; an exchange of methodologies and ideologies.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!