• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Putting in Work Outside the Dojo

username19853

I’m always fascinated to hear what others do on their own time to work on their craft. Putting work in outside of the dojo. Personally, I like to combine yoga with my shorin ryu “staples.” Just like a daily maintenance in case I don’t go to a karate or yoga class. Check it out and feel free to share your own!

Warmup:

- Kapalabhati/breathing exercise

- Yoga Sun Salutations 3x

- Dynamic stretches, legs swings/arm circles, etc.

Kata:

- Fukyugata 3x (one to focus or all three)

- Pinan 3x (usually one to focus on each day)

- Naihanchi 3x (one to focus or all three)

Cool Down:

- Yoga Stretches; usually wide split, twist, Wheel, and some inversion

- Nadi Shodhana/breathing exercise

- sometimes meditation

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey scohen0300,

Thanks for sharing this! An odd technical glitch caused this topic to have no title, which is why I believe it didn't receive much response. I have fixed this and added a suggested title (feel free to adjust if it doesn't fit). I wanted to bump this up so that others could now see it. :) Sorry about that. Thanks again!

Patrick

Many martial arts people see their school/dojo as a place to practise. In fact, at least in the traditional sense, this is not quite correct. The school/dojo is the place to learn new things and get instructions on how and what to improve.

All the practise work to refine skills and polish basics is supposed to be done by each person on their own time. Of course in this days and age hardly anyone can afford to train daily for hours. Everyone has other vital obligations and preoccupations such as their professional and private/family life. It is not impossible however, with some self-discipline to find just a few minutes as often as feasible to practise two or three items from one’s martial art or do some strengthening/conditioning.

My personal dojo is my basement. I am currently working on getting it fixed up, which I expect to be done by summer 2020.

My formal dojo practice is 3 times a week. I practice in my personal dojo at least 2 times a week extra.

I also do Qigong and Meditation separately from formal dojo practice.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)