• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have been a student of Martial arts for over 6 years now and have attained the rank of 2nd Black in Tae Kwon Do and 1st Black in American Kickboxing. I started instructing begineer levels when I was a 1st brown in TKD.

The belt system for TKD in my school is:

(White to brown have 1st and 2nd levels, Black has 9 levels)

White-Yellow-Green-Blue-Red-Brown-Black

Kickboxing has only one level of each but follows the same color system.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings!

The rankings in my school go:

White

Gold

Green

Purple

Blue

Advanced Blue (Blue with a black stripe through middle of belt)

Red

Advanced Red (Red with a black stripe through middle of belt)

Brown (That's me!)

Advanced Brown (Brown with a black stripe through middle of belt)

Candidate Black (Black with a white stripe through middle of belt)

Black

1st Degree Black Belt, Jhoon Rhee Style Tae Kwon Do

My school goes like this:

white, yellow, orange, green, purple, blue, brown, red, probational BB, then BB.

that is exactly the same as my school, but the "probational BB is called pre-black, a half black and hlaf red belt, and then Black Belt after that

Testing for my Brown on Saturday!..Our belts are white,yellow,green,purple,blue,brown,red, & black. We have seniors of each colored belt that has a black stripe running horizontally down the length...So-I am now a senior blue testing for brown & then hopefully before the end of the year I will test for senior brown. I have been training for just 19 months now.

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."

Sight- I was at an open tourney in Bryant Arkansas a couple of weeks ago & saw some camo belts also?....Kinda cool but then again..kinda goofy looking. I think they put them in with the regular green belts.

*1st Dan Oct 2004*

"Progress lies not enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be."

"It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them."

My old Chung Do Kwan TKD school belt ranks were: White, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown, and Black.

My current TKD school belt ranks are: White, Yellow, Green, Blue, Brown, Red, and Black.

Oldrookie, you are right the Camo belt is in the Greens. The ATA belt rankings are: White, Orange, Yellow, Camoflauge, Green, Purple, Blue, Brown and Black.

Interesting to see all the different belt systems even within the same art. My instructor bought our school from another instructor a few years back. As such, he inherited their structure for a while. It was white, yellow, green, blue, red, brown, poom (1/2 red, 1/2 black ) and then black. Each level has a black stripe level as well the denotes a slightly higher rank (i.e. yellow, yellow-stripe, green, green-stripe), but it's possible to go from yellow straight to green depending on a lot of things. He felt the old school liked more ranks because they could generate more income by testing more frequently and keeping people happy by promoting them.

He's slowly started transitioning to the same belts, but eliminating the stripe and the poom belt. It means more time in grade for each student, but he likes the more traditional touch. He's just slowly promoting people only to a solid color, and then won't let them test again until he feels they're ready to go to the next solid color. He'd eliminate the stripes altogether but he's not sure about what to do for the kids. He knows the kids need more continual reinforcement. He's waivering between keeping the stripes just for the kids, or by removing them and just using the "tip" concept for them.

If anyone has any advice or faced similar issues, I'd be glad to hear it. My instructor has asked us seniors a few times what we think, so I know he wants some input.

Well, as i stated b4, our system goes:

white, white w/ yellow stripe, yellow, yellow w/ green, green, blue, brown, red black. they each have a stripe in between. what we do is we have tips. its like a pretest, the first part is the form and if they pass they get a red tip. the 2nd part is combo techs and whatnot and then they get a black tip if they pass. Thats the pretest. when they get both tips it means they're ready to test.

Female- 16 years old - Brown Belt 3rd grade.

I was just on an ATA site, whats with the camo belt?

Can't say I think very highly of it. 'See the hunter as he sneaks up on his prey. The innocent deer has no idea he is being stalked by the Mighty Camoflauged Kicker.' :lol:

But on a more serious note, I feel part of the reason martial artists are not taken seriously is things like this. What next? Tye-Dyed belts? I can see me now introducing myself: "Hi, I'm a 3rd degree polka dot belt" :D

This kind of thing isn't the only reason we are not taken seriously, but it doesn't help.

Back to topic

Our system is:

White, Yellow, Green, Snr Green, Blue, Snr Blue, Purple, Snr Purple, Red, Snr Red, Probationary 1st Degree BB, Decided 1st Degree BB, Snr 1st Degree BB, up to third degree. After that we don't have the probationary & Decided.

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo