• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2019 New Years Resolutions

This year I'm shooting pretty high

1. Get certified as a d-level instructor & d-level judge

2. Get a tenure-track faculty appointment

3. Start a university karate club :karate:

I fully expect this to be a major challenge to do in my first year of trying, but here goes nothing!

Best of luck on the tenure-track job! I'm not sure what the market looks like in your field of study, but things are pretty flooded for mathematicians.

Thanks Singularity!

Right now it's seeming like even the small biology tenure track jobs are getting at least 150 applicants each. For that reason when I only made the short list for 1 of 10 jobs I applied to last year, I wasn't super surprised. I'm trying to get some manuscripts out and at least double my number of applications in 2019 to boost my chances. In the past week I've applied to 5 more positions, and I plan to submit two more applications today. Fingers crossed! One day at a time I guess.

It would be really great to start my own university club too. Undergrads are my favorite group to train. Unlike little kids, every single one of them wants to be there and is ready to go at the beginning of class. Many students are also looking for the community and friendship that a dojo can offer. It can be an outlet for the stress university or graduate life puts on people. It's nice to have a place to diffuse all of that. I have many fond memories and lasting friendships from my college karate club(s). It'd be great to be able to start that somewhere new. I'd love to give more people a chance to experience this.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year I'm shooting pretty high

1. Get certified as a d-level instructor & d-level judge

2. Get a tenure-track faculty appointment

3. Start a university karate club :karate:

I fully expect this to be a major challenge to do in my first year of trying, but here goes nothing!

Best of luck on the tenure-track job! I'm not sure what the market looks like in your field of study, but things are pretty flooded for mathematicians.

Thanks Singularity!

Right now it's seeming like even the small biology tenure track jobs are getting at least 150 applicants each. For that reason when I only made the short list for 1 of 10 jobs I applied to last year, I wasn't super surprised. I'm trying to get some manuscripts out and at least double my number of applications in 2019 to boost my chances. In the past week I've applied to 5 more positions, and I plan to submit two more applications today. Fingers crossed! One day at a time I guess.

It would be really great to start my own university club too. Undergrads are my favorite group to train. Unlike little kids, every single one of them wants to be there and is ready to go at the beginning of class. Many students are also looking for the community and friendship that a dojo can offer. It can be an outlet for the stress university or graduate life puts on people. It's nice to have a place to diffuse all of that. I have many fond memories and lasting friendships from my college karate club(s). It'd be great to be able to start that somewhere new. I'd love to give more people a chance to experience this.

Well, I landed a tenure-track job at a community college 5 years ago (it took 2 years of applying.) Since then, I've been on a couple search committees. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some advice!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Well, I landed a tenure-track job at a community college 5 years ago (it took 2 years of applying.) Since then, I've been on a couple search committees. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some advice!

I will do just that! Thank you!

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Mine are pretty simple:

1. Start eating properly again, I've slipped somewhat recently.

2. Finish college and start the training toward Nidan.

Nothing too exciting, just simple and attainable! :lol:

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Things for me to work on in 2019

1) Better work/life balance

2)Pay off new to me car and another 1/3 of remaining balance on student loans

3) build my savings acct back up

4) Meet with an instructor from one of our sister schools to discuss what it would mean for me to be a part of his staff

Shaolin Kempo, 1st Dan (earned 3 July 2018 in China)

ITF Tae Kwon Do, 2nd Dan (earned 6 June 2009 in San Diego, CA)

Almost 20 years of martial arts training in total

MA resolutions for 2019:

1. Keep doing at least one kata every day (probably will stick with Go ho no Uke)

2. Train strength/kihon/kata solo or in club dojo at least two-three times/week

3. Take the 4th kyu exam

4. Keep studying MA through various media and applying the new knowledge

The path so far: 2 kyu Karate (Shito-ryu), 3 kyu Aikido (Aikikai), 5 kyu Judo, 9 kyu Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Not a day without a kata

Have made a fair few goals for this year, but my main martial art ones are:

-At least think about 4th Dan.

-Spend more time on kobudo and hopefully grade a couple of times (Recently started kobudo officially toward the end of last year...)

-Take a more in depth look at bunkai of the more advance kata and teach more bunkai related content in classes

-Possibly start a kids class.

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good for me...

Martial Arts related resolution:

*Get back into Kickboxing - DONE!

*Try out Jiu Jitsu - DONE!

Non Martial Arts related:

*Read more, at least 1 book a month - First one done!

*Improve my cooking skills! erm...getting there slowly haha :lol:

Shaun: 'Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over'