• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

(Article) Parkour for seniors

JusticeZero

https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/12/parkour-class-50-plus-aging-fall-prevention-exercise/577900/

Can Parkour Teach Older People to ‘Fall Better’?

LINDA POON DEC 19, 2018

Her group, with the help of federal funding, works with local communities to bring other evidence-based fall prevention programs. One, called “A Matter of Balance,” teaches older adults how to fall-proof their homes and trains professionals to identify at-risk individuals. It also teaches simple, low-impact exercises that can be done at home—like leg extensions, knee raises, the arm chair push—and with groups, like tai chi.

“It puts them in control,” Cameron says. “It’s really a behavior change and empowerment program to help people with practical strategies for fall prevention.”

Interesting idea. Breakfalling, balance, and the like seem particularly important, more so than proper punching form, in terms "How likely will I need this?"

Thoughts?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 months later...

I was doing some parkour a few years back, as a senior.

Ended up twisting my ankle, a youngster advised me that it was due to wearing the wrong training shoes.

As for me personally, training shoes seem to be something similar, Wrong!!!

So my advice for the senior parkours out there, get the right gear on feet first, as knowing from first hand experienced and advised by one of the latest parkour expert's.

Gotta luv it when the shoe is on the other foot, as a senior getting a life lesson from a youngster.