• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Only adult in the class, should I stick with it?

Hello all!

I'm completely new to this site. I've always wanted to take martial arts lessons, but due to my studies, working long hours and having a baby, I haven't started until recently. I wasn't allowed to take lessons as a child. I've been feeling like now is the time to start before I get any older, lol. Btw, the extent of my training is a few Tae Kwon Do lessons in college and what my black belt hubby has taught me.

I was recently made aware that they teach karate lessons at my community center (only 10 minutes away), so I came in for a trial class. I had a great time! And I love the sensei already! But, there is one problem, I was the only adult there... In fact, the oldest kid looked like she was only 12. I really don't think I could go somewhere else, because that would be about an hour drive and cost more and my hubby isn't willing to watch our 3 year old any longer than he already does.

What do you guys think? To be honest, I really enjoyed the lesson and love the idea of learning more techniques and earning new belts, and I don't really want this to be a reason to quit, but maybe there's something I'm not considering and I'm going to regret this.

Thanks everyone!!

Cheers

What style of Karate is it?

Kenpo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeskWarrior,

Welcome to the site. As for your question, I believe it depends on what you ultimately want to get out of martial arts.

This class seems to be a positive for the following goals:

- Fitness

- Good instructor

- Sense of accomplishment

- Discipline

- Belonging to a larger organization

- Experience if you ever want to teach kids

- Cost

- Distance from Home

This class seems to be a negative for the following goals:

- Self Defense

- Camaraderie

- Experience if you ever want to teach adults

So, in the end it depends on how you rank these categories in your own personal goals.

Ask a friend to join you! It will make the training more fun, and easier with a partner your own size. As the only adult, once you progress to a certain point after a few months, it will probably get frustrating.

I can only echo what has been said already :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

FYI - we have multiple adults at our dojo who drive 1hr (or more) to attend our dojo bc other dojos did not "work for them" they usually say the people were not as good to train with.

As a Mom I understand the baby issue - call me a lousy Mom but I used to stick my 4yr old on the side with a tablet as I trained. he is 11 now and I still do it, and yes he gets to bed way too late and sometimes he ate fast food for dinner. Time for Mommy is important ... not only for your physical health but your mental health too. Also its good for the kids to learn that not everything in their world revolves around them.

The CI will make or break the dojo, in the short, and the long, of it all. This is why I always say, not all black belts can teach. It can be quite a trying journey to get that as perfect match as possible between CI and the student...this is a two way street.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Everyone has already given some great feedback. My question is in regards to your "black belt hubby." Does he still train? If so, are you training at the same place he trains at? If not, what better time to convince him to get back into training, with you?

Thanks for sharing this with us, DeskWarrior! Welcome. Love the responses on this thread. :)

Patrick

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful responses! I thought I'd give you guys an update. I've still been going to the lessons and having a blast! So glad I stuck with it. I do plan on recommending the lessons to my friends and neighbors, but for now, I'm having fun and learning a lot as is. The kids are very respectful too. I do think it would be great if my hubby took the lessons with me. His black belt is in The Kwon Do, so this could be a fun learning opportunity for him, I would think, but he says he's "unmotivated" to do martial arts again. He hasn't been serious with TKD in about 10 years. And we do have a 3 year old too who wouldn't be able to sit still and quiet throughout the lesson if she came along.

Cheers!

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful responses! I thought I'd give you guys an update. I've still been going to the lessons and having a blast! So glad I stuck with it. I do plan on recommending the lessons to my friends and neighbors, but for now, I'm having fun and learning a lot as is. The kids are very respectful too. I do think it would be great if my hubby took the lessons with me. His black belt is in The Kwon Do, so this could be a fun learning opportunity for him, I would think, but he says he's "unmotivated" to do martial arts again. He hasn't been serious with TKD in about 10 years. And we do have a 3 year old too who wouldn't be able to sit still and quiet throughout the lesson if she came along.

Cheers!

I’m glad it’s working out for you. If you’re enjoying it and benefiting from it, keep at it. No sense in trying to fix what isn’t broken.

Only advice is to not count on friends and your husband to join. So many people say they want to or will say they’ll think about it just to humor you. It’ll be great if they do, but from personal experience, don’t hold your breath.

Hi everyone!

Cheers!

Keep at it then! Sounds great!

Cheers!

Only advice is to not count on friends and your husband to join. So many people say they want to or will say they’ll think about it just to humor you. It’ll be great if they do, but from personal experience, don’t hold your breath.

Oh they never join.

Iron Sheik Made me Humble.