• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Open training question...

In boxing you walk in to the gym during opening hours and trainer will give the student 10 minutes of personal time and move on to the next student and afterwards they will keep an eye on you. I am curious if in the dojo setting would students have to wear uniforms for open training or is it more casual?

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I’d assume it depends on the dojo. If they’re not required to wear a uniform during open mat (and the like) times, I’m sure they’d have an appropriate clothing policy. I don’t think a BJJ school would be happy with people rolling in jeans and shoes.

Open time is still dojo time; gi required. Seems like an unfair strictness policy but the floor is the floor irregardless, in which respect of it is quite necessary class or not. Ether way, training is happening, and when on the floor training, gi required unless the CI says otherwise, which isn't often.

Yeah, we seem to be the prissy stuffy bunch, don't we!?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Whether a martial arts school or boxing gym, there are no rules or guidelines that apply everywhere. The way of doing things correctly depend on whoever is in charge of the place and the only way to know what to do or how to prepare is the simplest and most obvious: ask the one in charge of the place about open training directly!

Expect to need/bring the minimum gear such as training wear and safety gear. Better over prepared than not at all.

Open time is still dojo time; gi required. Seems like an unfair strictness policy but the floor is the floor irregardless, in which respect of it is quite necessary class or not. Ether way, training is happening, and when on the floor training, gi required unless the CI says otherwise, which isn't often.

Yeah, we seem to be the prissy stuffy bunch, don't we!?

:)

I respect that!

I have been in MMA gyms when my boxing trainer was renting space and if a place is too causal with their dress code and language then the conduct tends to become compromised. Hence you got to set the tone!

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

We don't have a lot of open call time with instructors around, but if a student wants to come in and train on their own when the room is open, then they don't have to wear a full do-bak. Usually, the do-bak pants and a t-shirt is the norm; everyone likes the way they kick in a do-bak, and the t-shirt option is nice. But, if someone works out in sweats or shorts and a t-shirt, then that's ok too, as long as it isn't class time.

We've done kicking classes in the past where we've worn the do-bak pants and a t-shirt, as well. It's not a "traditional" class, but is still pretty structured.

I think it might vary school to school and also the martial art they do. When I trained a lot in BJJ they said to either wear your Gi or your Rashy + Shorts (No Gi).

At my karate club we don’t really do Open Mat, but my sensei is open to the idea. He would say to wear what is appropriate for what your training for.