• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving Stamina? / Forging my own Path

RW

JR beat me to it. I was going to also suggest some sort of interval training. To be honest I don't think it matters what it is as long as you are consistent with it. So running, swimming, rowing, bag work... just be consistent.

Though may I ask why you are sticking it out to shodan? I can understand that there you are probably feeling compelled to finish what you are started but do you gain anything by getting shodan? why not start training now in another school?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Running intervals can be helpful, if its done right. I'd recommend running stairs, if you can find a nice stadium to do it in. Otherwise, as JazzKicker mentioned, rounds on the bag is probably one of the better ways to do things. You can even do katas different ways to help with stamina. You can do it once through really slowly and with tension, then you can do it be really blasting the moves out as fast and hard as you can. Technique will dip, but you can work on that in a later set.

Now, with all that aside, I'm really sorry to hear about the state of your current school. That really sucks. I think you've got a good plan, though, with a goal to reach, so see it through. What do you plan to do after you quit the school?

Well, there is the chance that once I get my black belt things have changed in the dojo and I can stay.

If not, the problem is that I don't think that my black belt translates to a black belt in any other school, so if I were anywhere else I'd have to start from scratch... I'm not keen to do that. I'd probably stop going to class and reach an agreement with the school where I can still show up for the private lessons and maybe regular class every once in a while but that's it.

I'd love to find me a kickboxing coach...

Look at the exercises from this site (can be found on Pinterest too).

Quick, requires little room and little to no equipment, but extremely challenging (and super hero themed, which I like):

https://www.neilarey.com

Go to the workouts section of the website. I personally like the Daredevil and Batman workouts!

NICE! Thanks!! :)

JR beat me to it. I was going to also suggest some sort of interval training. To be honest I don't think it matters what it is as long as you are consistent with it. So running, swimming, rowing, bag work... just be consistent.

Though may I ask why you are sticking it out to shodan? I can understand that there you are probably feeling compelled to finish what you are started but do you gain anything by getting shodan? why not start training now in another school?

JR 137 - Thanks for the great advice!

DWx: Well I'd feel that I am so close (2 tests) before black that it'd be a shame to quit now, I'd feel like such a quitter. Starting at another school would be resetting that. Who knows, I may end doing that too, but I could always get the Shodan and then switch schools...

• 4 weeks later...

Stamina is not only physical but also a mental strength to combine one with the other.

Practice where you are optimising your potential be it in a fitness gym or park, wherever you feel inspired and motivated to get better results.

It is important to ; Not letting or allowing unimportant individuals that will never mean anything to you to impede your progress, not now or ever!

• 1 month later...

Update -

I came back to the dojo and.... the sensei pretty much forgot about me. I mean, he kind of remembered I am a student (I was only gone for 2 months!), but he thought I had just tested for my belt and therefore didn't know the techniques yet (!!!).

This was red flag A because other students have left for... half a year or more and he remembers exactly who they are and what they know.

After class I humbly approached him and told him that I feel I need to put more work into some specific kata and that maybe we could work on that, in my private lesson. His answer? NO.

His attitude was basically "you're not special, and if other people don't get special stuff why would you?"

This annoyed me off greatly because I was talking about my private lessons with him (our dojo has a group class + private lesson business model, where you're entitled to 2 private lessons a month), and also, he bends himself like a pretzel for other students (like the toxic belt mongering guys) all the time.

I can't imagine what could be more opposite to having a big ego or thinking you're "special" than acknowledging one's weak spots and asking for help from somebody better, who happens to be your teacher.

It annoyed me greatly... long story short I am switching to Kyokushin Karate now and I'm telling this guy I'm leaving him on Monday :karate: