• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hokie6260

Just turned 40 in August and been wanting to get into martial arts. I have trained BJJ for a little while, but just not getting much out of it personally. I struggled with a lot of things about whether I should even be starting martial arts at my age...is it just for kids? I've been visiting different martial arts schools sitting in and observing different classes. Finally went back tonight to watch an Adult TKD class at the local school and there were 13 adults in there from white belt to black belt. I pulled the trigger and signed up for an introductory month. I'm excited to get started (again).

One of the problems I have within in myself is the slow promotions. It's any martial art. It's for the good of the arts, but for some reason I struggle with it. I am trying to keep an open mind and try to enjoy the process and not worry about the result.

OSS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I started in my mid-30's, and it's totally worth it. You'll need to proceed with more caution, as you won't bounce back from injury as fast as you would if you were 20.

Slow promotions are actually a good thing! Most adults don't have hours per day to train, and getting your body do perform will in a martial arts sense takes a lot of time and training. My experience says that once you get your first promotion, the following few ranks could take a few months each. Advancing faster indicates one of 2 things to me - either you're a prodigy, or you're studying at a McDojo/Belt Mill, with the second being more likely.

Ultimately, enjoy the journey. Make sure you stretch every day (not just in class) and have a proper warm-up before you really get going!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Age only becomes a problem when ego is in the equation. If you doing it for the right reasons and not just to gain a certain belt/grade then it matters little what age you start at.

Welcome to KF.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Welcome. Yeap, there is no such thing as too old to start in MA. Slow promotions? Look at it this way, you will be invited to test when you are competent in what you have been taught. Not slow, nor fast.......

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Welcome to the forum

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society