• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Generational loss of knowledge in the Internet age?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was checking out the youtube channel of an aikido guy who was trying to make aikido more practical. Long story short, he quit after a while.

Why?

He discovered the more he tried to make aikido more practical and incorporate "aliveness' (movement) into the drills the more his aikido ended looking like wrestling!

I feel all arts would end looking the same if strict octagon applicability was all that mattered: All grappling would look like BJJ/Wrestling with maybe some judo, and all striking would look like muay thai, with some karate sprinkled here and there. To quote the people from that youtube channel, "the body only moves so many ways".

With the push for more and more octagon/MMA application, the richness of traditional arts is getting lost, as fewer and fewer people care about the "art" aspect of martial arts and its nuances. There may be some old school people, like us at this board, but the general population are not really interested in that anymore.,..

@Bulltahr, I know kung fu is a quote from the matrix as an attachment to the link.

Sorry, "Show me" was my reference to Morpheous's reply and then the dojo fight scene commences.

:) :)

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

@Bulltahr, I know kung fu is a quote from the matrix as an attachment to the link.

Sorry, "Show me" was my reference to Morpheous's reply and then the dojo fight scene commences.

:) :)

Sorry for the confusion Bulltahr.

Neo just before the fight scene with Morpheus had been downloading martial art styles and systems to his brain, once download Neo said "I know Kung Fu"

I personally practice none traditional Kung Fu, as in Wing Chun.