• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Book of Five Rings?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you read this book?

Yes; many, many times.

What value, if any, did it bring to your martial arts/life?

Of intrinsic value. What Soke and Dai-Soke taught within the Shindokan circle are of immeasurable importances across the board. However, outside of, and away from Shindokan is a vast wide world of valuable insights in and out of the MA, and the Book Of Five Rings was one of those many MA books that've helped me to see outside of the Shindokan circle, and in conjunction with my forging my own MA identity.

Did you enjoy it?

Immensely so!!

Any thoughts you’d like to share?

Being a staunch proponent of what the Book of Five Rings teaches, but what it also teaches the reader as an individual. Strategy is key, however, the one thing that struck me first was the Strike of Non-Thought, for that was the exclamation of what Soke and Dai-Soke was teaching us to their last breath. And when Bruce uttered these words in Enter the Dragon...

'I do not it, it hits all by itself', and 'there is no thought'!! We were taught these maxims...Mizu no kokoro [Mind like water] and Tsuki no kokoro [Mind like the moon], we MAists seek ever so diligently to be so automatic in everything that we do because the mind does seem to have an ugly habit of getting in the way.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Awesome book!

Good for thinking about strategy in combat and in life, much like Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

I’m in the middle of reading it. Considering Musashi’s reputation, it feels like a privilege being able read something that’s almost directly from him. It’s creating questions!

Why is it, that one of the greatest swordsman of all time preferred fighting with a sword in each hand, yet I’ve never seen or heard of any schools that teach that?

I've read this book, as well as Hagakure within the last year, or so. Some parts were absolutely great (I even use some of the quotes when teaching.) Others are showing their age, as I feel they're not as relevant in today's society. Definitely worth having in my MA library!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

I've lost count of how many times I have read this book over the years.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Awesome book!

Good for thinking about strategy in combat and in life, much like Sun Tzu's Art of War.

To the bold - great book! Can be applied to life, business, relationships, combat, etc., etc.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll