• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can you do your stuff without warmup or preparation?

In the dojo / dojang / gym / call it what you will, we are typically dressed for training. We'll usually do some form of warm up, maybe stretch a bit, loosen off. Then go full tilt.

Do you ever test your ability when in normal clothes and not warmed up?

I like to practice kicking in normal clothes with no warmup. I fund I can do all of it, but only to about waist height instead of head height. I'm content with that.

The reason I ask is because in a real situation, you can't ask the attacker to give you half an hour while you get changed and warmed up before getting attacks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The fight or flight response mimics warmup. Once adrenaline starts flowing, the heart races, arteries and capillaries open up, the airway opens up and breathing increases. With the fight or flight response, you don’t need a warmup. Whoever created us and is responsible for that programming was pretty smart :)

Clothing is another matter though.

Yes, none of the principles I would fall back on in an attack involve a great deal of flexibility.

I'm more concerned with the probability of me being attacked whilst wearing a hoody or, in the summer, flip-flops/sandals..

JR 137. That's interesting. It makes sense but I hadn't thought of that. It reminds me of a situation a while ago. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself one evening. I ached all over and really felt old. When suddenly there was a noise a bit too close to the house.instantly I felt as fit as a 20 year old and felt primed for action. It turned out to be nothing as it happens, but still it showed just how quickly you can become ready when necessary.

Mushybees, regarding footwear, I have arthritis in my feet. There is nothing good to say about arthritis but if I was forced to find one positive it would be this. When you have arthritis in your feet, you have to become very, very selective when choosing footwear.that doesn't mean you have to wear ridiculous shoes. I have formals, trainers, and plimsolls. But it dies mean you have to choose very carefully. That means that for me, my footwear never impedes me. Even the formal shoes I wear for work provide good support, good grip, and just the right amount of flex. The result is I can run in them as well as I can run in any other shoes, and when I practice a bit in secret in the facilities at work, I find I can move reasonably well.

I've thought about this... I tend to wear pants that allow more free movement (DuluthFlex cargo pants, Duluth jeans, Carhartt cargo pants with gusset, etc) when I'm out and about.

Flipflops are easy... kick them off!

I've also thought about being warmed up... adrenaline will kick in and help. Regardless, if you get in a conflict, you shouldn't expect to walk away unharmed. You'll either take hits, or you'll strain something from the effort. Either way, the goal is to be able to walk away. :-)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

As singularity6 said, adrenaline does a good job of getting you ready for fight or flight, so warming up isn't as much of a concern. Even so, most of what I do doesn't require warming up, anyway, unless I'm playing with high kicks for fun

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...
In the dojo / dojang / gym / call it what you will, we are typically dressed for training. We'll usually do some form of warm up, maybe stretch a bit, loosen off. Then go full tilt.

Do you ever test your ability when in normal clothes and not warmed up?

I like to practice kicking in normal clothes with no warmup. I fund I can do all of it, but only to about waist height instead of head height. I'm content with that.

The reason I ask is because in a real situation, you can't ask the attacker to give you half an hour while you get changed and warmed up before getting attacks.

The warm up is to help prevent injuries- not help you perform a technique...

This is a common theme of rbsd instructors and styles, who miss the point entirely....

Isn’t the point of practise and training to be able to “do your stuff” without warming up? Is anyone going to say “wait a tick, I have to stretch and warm up” if/when attacked? Physical defense should become a reflex. If one has to think about it, it will invariably end badly.