• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Toes

I only found out fairly recently, after numerous failed attempts to train myself to have greater control of my toes, that it is anatomically impossible to get the same range of functions that our fingers offer :)

But silly mistakes aside, I'm wondering how much control each of us has over our toes.

It sounds trivial no?

Well, we know that certain kicks call for different toe positions, so the question may not be as daft as it first seems.

I found out by chance recently that several people I know didn't even realise it is possible to flex the foremost joint of the big toe. When it came up in one of those random conversations, the group was immediately divided into those that think it's bizarre to even consider that it flexes, and those that think it's bizarre that some can't do it.

In my case, I can't raise my pinky toes. I can push them down or across, but not up. I used to be able to. And I don't think I've lost the ability through illness or injury. As far as I'm aware they are still fully intact. I just seem to have lost the neurological association required to lift them. I can lift all my other toes, including the ones that have been broken. Some of them badly.

Why does this matter? Take the basic front snap kick. It calls for pulling all the toes up and back to keep them clear of the strike.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I say that I've been blessed with total control over my toes. I can move them into the desired position for whatever's necessary. I've blessed toes!!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My pinky toe tends to not do exactly what I tell it to. I imagine it'll end up getting pretty smushed one day.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

After decades of training I can say I have pretty good control over my toes. However it wasn't always that way as I have had my fair share of broken toes over the years due to control/positioning issues.

Pain is a good teacher. :D

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll