• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questionable belt testing

I started taking classes at my dojo about 2 years ago. It's not uncommon (all but 2 for me) for us to have to teach ourselves testing techniques. There is generally one or 2 black belts around but they are generally working on their own stuff. We have a book to work out of, we don't really get more instruction than that. Now that I'm a red belt the techniques are seeming dangerous to do with out being taught first. For example I'm required to demonstrate a shihonage on my partner (another red belt) and have not been taught it. Advice?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would be questioning what you are actually paying your subs for. Doesn't sound like much of a "school" to me. Is there a CI? Speak with him, but from what you have said I would be looking for another school.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

I think I'm going to switch. But I don't like the feeling of disloyalty about it.

Welcome to KF, Pancor357; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

From what your OP speaks about, it's the dojo that's being disloyal to its Student Body. So, I'd speak to the CI!! If that doesn't pan out, then I'd start looking elsewhere.

Good luck, and please let us know how things are going.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think I'm going to switch. But I don't like the feeling of disloyalty about it.

Be loyal to yourself first.

If you are learning from a book, you can remain loyal if you wish. Just take the book with you and read it at home, in between classes at another school.

Yeah, I'm going to echo what everyone else has said...think hard about moving on. That's not instruction.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to KF, Pancor357; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

From what your OP speaks about, it's the dojo that's being disloyal to its Student Body. So, I'd speak to the CI!! If that doesn't pan out, then I'd start looking elsewhere.

Good luck, and please let us know how things are going.

:)

First, Welcome Pancor357.

I concur with sensei8, completely. If you're teaching yourself, the dojo is being disloyal to you. Put another way, if you're teaching yourself (and not being taught by chief instructor) who is there to be disloyal to?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Welcome aboard!

And yeah, I agree with the rest... From what you're saying, the school isn't doing much of anything for you except providing some space and taking your money.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

What is the difference between buying a book and studying at home and what you’ve told us about you’re present situation?

Students join a school to be taught and to receive direction from someone with the skills and knowledge that you do not possess. If your paying to learn from a book go buy one and keep your money.

The whole point is the interaction between teacher and student. Expecting students to teach themselves is ludicrous.

My advice... drop that school and the “instructors”, if you can call them that, like a bad habit and find a real teacher.

I’m obviously doing something wrong and have wasted decades of training and teaching students. If I knew they taught themselves and I didn’t have to teach I could have taken up a new hobby and gone on more vacations. That’s not a martial arts school, it’s a scam. Don’t walk away, run!

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll