• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oss

OneKickWonder

There used to be a website called "24fightingchickens" run by a Shotokan BB who debunked a lot of the nonsense around karate.

He had trained in Japan for a while, as well. One of the things he noted was, "oss" was like saying "Yo!" - it's kind of rude.

And in the TSD world, I was first taught "ko map sum ni da". Years later my native born Korean Hapkido instructor told me the proper way to say it was "Kam sa hap ni da".

Agreed.

My understanding, which could be flawed, is that its Japanese street/thug slang.

We don't use it, and I never heard it in Okinawa...

Chris

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s how it was explained in Okinawa and how it was perceived there by Okinawan instructors. The younger crowd didn’t seem to care one way or another but the old timers did not like the “oss” thing one bit. A couple were offended to some degree and others just thought it was stupid “tough-guy bragging”. Another reason is that they didn’t like being associated/confused with kyokushin and its huge influence.

• 3 weeks later...

How about...salutations uttered in one's own native language, and not in Japanese/Uchinaaguchi, unless one's from Japan/Okinawa, for example.

:wave:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

How about...salutations uttered in one's own native language, and not in Japanese/Uchinaaguchi, unless one's from Japan/Okinawa, for example.

Why stop at salutations? Why not get rid of foreign language terms for techniques, kata names, titles, and so on? Because you start to lose the origins and traditions of the system.

I personally think some of the terminology and traditions go a tad too far, but I’d much rather keep it than get rid of it.

Why stop at salutations? Why not get rid of foreign language terms for techniques, kata names, titles, and so on? Because you start to lose the origins and traditions of the system.

I personally think some of the terminology and traditions go a tad too far, but I’d much rather keep it than get rid of it.

I agree. I've frequently wondered about this. We use Korean terms and practices in our school. Bowing, kneeling and "meditating" are not part of the culture at all where I'm from. Our master instructor's master instructor was from Korea (I think he died years ago.) I suspect most terms get mispronounced. Our so-called meditation lasts as little as 3 seconds, and rarely more than 30 seconds.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)