• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How are books useful to you?

Books are a snapshot of the subject found in said book!!

I've more books on the MA than I care to admit! ***NERD ALERT!!***

Books, like anything else doing with the MA are nothing than another form of a tool; useful or not to that practitioner is up to that practitioner alone. YouTube and whatever else is the rage of today's page are also, another form of a tool.

The tool is only as important as the practitioner decides. And of course, nothing ever replaces ones instructor; the go to person on anything within the style trained in.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sadly I've found that many are, how shall we say, of dubious accuracy. So I don't bother any more.

I know exactly what you mean, some of the stuff that came out thru the 60s to 80s was, well incredulous, thinking of all the bull killing springs to mind.......... :roll:

There are some good reads out there tho, " Moving zen" by CW Nichol is a good one from the 60's....

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Tao Of Jeet Kune Do - by Bruce Lee. This book was such an eye opening experience reading it. I read it in 93ish, and I was 16ish lol. It was my first real experience in martial arts and helped mold me incredibly. To this day I focus on learning what I can, any style, with complete disregard to structure or worry of anything except a technique’s usefulness. I do keep a foundation when teaching though in Tang Soo Do because teaching with structure is best, for me personally.

Because of this book I have focused on speed first, and non-telegraphed movements are a focal point. Typically training in traditional arts this isn’t the focus as much more focus as you all know is placed on posture, hip movement, and angles.

To me this book lays down the footwork for mixed martial arts, long before guys were doing it as a sport in small underwear lol.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

I'm a book guy. I like to the format in general. I do enjoy seeing things on video, but for me, books tend to be my go-to. I enjoy going to the shelf to pull out some reference material.

I have a book authored by Royce Gracie, and I've had him autograph it for me. Can't get his signature on a youtube video...

I’ve heard the selfie with a famous person has replaced the autograph.

Then again, you could have Royce Gracie autograph your screen :)

Well, I do have a picture with him, too, so that's covered. Its not a selfie, though...I had someone else take the picture.

I like books for learning theory and history. The books that show you moves in little black and white stills are not helpful to me at all.