• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt;How do you tie, and how long are the tails?

I do it the second way. I put the label end on my right hip and then wrap. It's still fairly stiff so doesn't hang down so much, more kind of out to the side and springy! :lol:

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I use the "no cross over" at the back technique. Started with cross over, but liked the no cross over, so learnt it. Seems that there is no "official" stance either way in our organization. JR may be able to correct me on this tho...

Around here anyway...

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

how do you wrap your belt? I know 2 ways: 1) put the middle of it at the center of your waist, wrap it around, tie a square knot. in the back it "crosses over". This was the "beginner" way I used for a long time. 2) Put one end (right side for me) in the small of your back, wrap to your left twice, bring out the first part of the wrap for the other tail to tie. This is neat and avoids the crossover in the back.

After it's tied, how much do you have dangling- 4", 8", down to your knees :lol: ? mine seem to have shrunk over the years....

When I was in the ATA, I tied my belt with your second method. In the TTA, we use the first method. I don't mind the cross-over in the back.

Just for fun, here's a few more ways to skin that cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cIdbSU9Pk

I use the "no cross over" at the back technique. Started with cross over, but liked the no cross over, so learnt it. Seems that there is no "official" stance either way in our organization. JR may be able to correct me on this tho...

Around here anyway...

According to Shuseki Shihan, “Tie it either way you want.”

According to that same conversation a few years ago, there’s also no official side to have the “advanced” kyu patch on, nor the kanji for black belts. Some wear it with the name and dan stripes on the right, others have it on the left. The only official stance on those is wearing it on the outside so it can be read, rather than with the underside showing.

Yeah, I get a bit OCD about little things and have to ask. The answer is almost always “just look presentable.”

• 3 weeks later...

I like the no-cross in the back. Although I've seen traditional people do it both ways, so I'm not sure it matters much. Length is something that gets my goat sometimes. I don't want my belt flopping in my face when I kick. I keep my belt a bit on the shorter side (more like judoka and old-style karate do it) rather than at mid-thigh. The trade-off is I can't get any cool embroidery on my obi.

Not sure how to attach in image.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

However a belt is tied, it should not get in the way such as to prevent or impede movement during practise. Obviously belts shouldn’t be to long or too short. Crossing at the back or not really depends on the instructor or school. There isn’t really any universal way to tie it. Even among branch schools of the same association or style there are differences.

I figured out how to make the tails on my belt longer.

So far I've lost about 4 pounds.

Works every time!!

:rofl:

**Proof is on the floor!!!