• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spiritually out of shape?

JazzKicker

Everybody knows if you reduce or stop training, exercise of any kind, you'll get physically out of shape. Sluggish, inflexible, get winded, etc.

Then there's the mental/spiritual side, that (supposedly) differentiates martial arts. The self discipline, etc., that controls anger, reactivity, gives us the Zen attitude to handle stress or conflict. You know, the model of the calm old master.

Can you get out of shape this way, too? I think so. I still try to stay fit with solo training and other kinds of exercise, but I've neglected the spiritual, at the same time my life has become more stressful. I'm embarrassed to admit, I came to this realization after getting myself into a "road rage" situation precipitated by the irresponsible behavior of a couple of motorcyclists. I should have just "let it go".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've had to take a little time out from training lately and I've felt very out of sorts. Easily irritable and just feeling a bit glum.

Regular training definitely keeps me on an even keel.

Being able to freely show and feel aggression, albeit very controlled, is a good thing. Aggression is a natural facet of many people's nature, to deny it totally can be quite unhealthy.

Interesting thread, and solid posts!

Meditation is something I haven't tried very hard at, but should. This thread might help inspire some more action!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Absolutely!!

Out of sight, out of mind...out of mind, out of sight. Rust can come mentally as well; the physicality doesn't own that difficulty whatsoever.

Until the AHA moment brings back to ones mind, like, one saying to oneself..."How do I do that again?"..."How does that go?"..."Why can't I remember that?", and so on and so forth.

But, like riding a bicycle or a horse, once you get back on it, the AHA moments resurface, and in time, the forgotten muscle memory returns.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Perhaps it can, but I think the spiritual side is the side you can take with you more easily and train outside of the school. Use moments in everyday life to help hone those skills. If those skills are only used in the school, then it isn't being done right.