• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju-kai

oldtimer

I am doing some research on goju-kai karate and am looking for a grading syllabus which sets out the techniques for each grade. Does anyone know where I might find one? Also, what is the key difference between goju-kai and goju-ryu? Thank you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju-ryu is the Okinawan karate style founded by Chojun Miyagi. Goju Kai is Goju-ryu as taught by one of Miyagi’s inheritors. “Kai” in Japanese means something like “association”. In other words it is the name of a governing body. Goju-ryu practicionners may confirm or refute this but, the founder of Goju Kai might be Gogen Yamaguchi who was taught on the Japanese mainland by either Miyagi himself or a student of his.

Goju-ryu is the Okinawan karate style founded by Chojun Miyagi. Goju Kai is Goju-ryu as taught by one of Miyagi’s inheritors. “Kai” in Japanese means something like “association”. In other words it is the name of a governing body. Goju-ryu practicionners may confirm or refute this but, the founder of Goju Kai might be Gogen Yamaguchi who was taught on the Japanese mainland by either Miyagi himself or a student of his.

My understanding is Yamaguchi was taught Goju Ryu in Japan under one of Miyagi’s direct students. Miyagi was invited by Yamaguchi and his teacher to Japan, where they both studied further Miyagi. Miyagi is said to have given Yamaguchi the responsibility of spreading Goju to mainland Japan.

I’ve also read Yamaguchi traveled to Okinawan several times afterwards to train with Miyagi and Miyagi’s senior-most students after Miyagi’s death, most notably Meitoku Yagi.

I guess it could be said that Goju-Kai is Yamaguchi’s take and tweaking of Miyagi’s Goju Ryu. I’m pretty sure the syllabi are close to identical when it comes to kata and requirements for promotion. Yamaguchi is said to have introduced Jiyu Kumite (free fighting) into Goju, so there may or may not be a heavier emphasis on free sparring over kata bunkai. If there’s a big difference, I’d guess that it would be more teacher to teacher than Goju Ryu vs Goju Kai. But that’s all conjecture on my part.

Super technically I am a Goju-Kai Practitioner. Depends on how many steps away from Yamaguchi Sensei you are. And also what your organisation may have added.

My club has a similar curriculum to Tino Ceberano’s organisation. He of whom trained underneath Yamaguchi Sensei.

There are minor differences between Goju-Ryu and Goju-Kai. Most predominetly is stance height; as Goju-Kai you are lower than Goju-Ryu.

As with Goju-Ryu, we have an emphasis on Bunkai. But also we do utilise Jiyu Kumite a lot and is a large part of our curriculum.

These techniques have been banned in Judo due to the high risk of injury to the Uke. However many styles of Karate teach these techniques.

However, I can say based on my experience these techniques were not taught when I studied Goju Ryu but it may be in higher in the grades.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Still no update on this throw (see your previous post)... I have come across the scissors takedown occasionally in training but not as part of my Yuishinkan Goju Ryu lineage (which is related to Goju Kai).

https://www.karateforums.com/leg-throw-takedowns-in-goju-kai-vt50504.html?highlight=scissors

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

One technical aspect of karate, especially in their original Okinawan forms is the inclusion of techniques for unbalancing or throwing. These are simpler and varied than what one might find in grappling/throwing systems such as jujutsu and are considered secondary and complementary to striking. In kata and drills it is always implied that any throw, take down or lock is set-up, preceded by and immediately followed by a strike.

One of the reasons throws or other grappling techniques were « forgotten » is the changes brought to karate since it was introduced outside of Okinawa. In the early days, even Funakoshi taught at least a dozen throws. There are photos showing this.

Many modern day karate practitioners are not aware that okinawan martial arts also includes native forms of grappling systems. On a small island kingdom with a concentration of martial experts, it is more than likely that these native systems were incorporated into what became karate. Another thing to consider is the opportunity to apply these throws etc, are perfectly compatible with the close-in distance of karate’s strategy. Even more so for a system like Goju-ryu

In addition to what others have mentioned about the technical aspect, there is the matter of office regarding the difference.

Goju-kai, is the official Goju association of the Japan Karate Federation (JKF).

The JKF is the Japanese National Governments official department for Karate and holds under its umbrella several different Karate associations including Wado-kai (for Wado-ryu) and JKA Shotokan.

These entities would feed into the IOC process via the JKF and ultimately the WKF.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Politicaly speaking, Goju-Kai is “Japanese” Goju-Ryu. All the governing bodies and schools directly linked to Yamaguchi or his students on the Japanese mainland. On Okinawa, Goju-Ryu traces its lineage to the founder, Miyagi and 3 or 4 of his students who never left Okinawa and founded their own organizations to teach the style there.