• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weight lifting to give Power and excess weight??

ad

hey all

as i am nearly approaching 16, i feel now is the time, after many careful conversations with members here and people elsewhere that it is safe to weight lift. This is great news to me though i have some what been put of weight lifting for several reasons. I really want to do weight lifting for power and toning of muscles. Yes i do want to look better, though i am not that vain and still want power from weight lifting. I have had trouble acheiving the desirable figure which i wanted by simply doing press ups and crunches, so i hoped to use weight lifting to help me acheive that body. When i weight lift, i will take no protein supplements or weight gain products as i do not want to increase in muscle mass, but to be more toned, so one of my questions is "will i be able to have a more toned body, but not increase in weight if i weight lift?" , as a martial artist, big huge bulging muscles isnt helpful, and excess wieght isnt helpful either. Also i wish to increase the power in the punches, kicks, and increase the speed of my reflexes, i wish to be able to do more press ups if i do bench press-ups. My second question would be "will weight lifting give me more power"?

I know this is a long winding post, but i hope you can help me

thnx

ad

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

More Power Yes

More Speed It could if you stretch

Gain weight YES.... As long as you lift you buidl muscle and you go up on the scales although you may not look bigger.

Bench Press does not equal more push up so don't expect it. I know people that can bench 400 lbs but have troulbe doing 10 good pushups.

Weight lifting will help you with anything you do. But to life and do MA you must keep some things in mind.

1. Work the muscles that will help me in MA mainly your hamstrings.

2. Reps will help you more with MA than a lot of weight will. Most of us like to pile on the lbs in the weightroom because of peer pressure.

3. Stretch. Make sure you strecth good before and after or you will loose flexability.

4. Dont overtrain. Work differant bodie parts or you will destroy the muscle. Give you self 48 hr to recover.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I got my first weight set when I was 13 years old and have weight trained off and on all my life. First off, just because you weight train doesn't mean you will automatically have monster muscles( most don't!!). Your body type, genetics and your commitment to train to achieve that look is the only way you would get that way. Yes, you will gain some muscle weight to some degree but if you work out hard with your martial arts and use weights for strength training and not muscle mass build-up I believe you will achieve the results you desire. A good web site for you to explore is https://www.bodybuilding.com or https://www.teenbodybuilding.com , both sites have good information to get you started in the right direction as well as information on nutrition and proper body fuel for your training.

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Kenpo - Brown

TKD - Advanced Green

Push ups don't = power anyway, they = endurance. If you want to build power in your punches, get your 1rm on bench press up.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

If your goal is to lose fat and gain muscle definition as well as improve muscular endurance, then you would need to follow a low weight / high rep training program. But if you want to increase your body mass plus increase power .... then heavy weights and lower reps are required.

Remember as mentioned elsewhere here in this forum, muscle weighs more than body fat so in all probability you just may gain "weight" while you weight train.

As Kenpo123 posted, visited those two sites. I have also mentioned those here to guys your age (and my son also).

There have been many misconceptions regading weight training in the teen years and for martal arts aas well. Martial artists often avoid weights because they fear they will loose speed and flexibility due to their increased muscle size. Unless you're predisposed genetically you won't achieve those body builder proportions as Kenpo123 also posted :up:. What you will achieve through lifting is increased strength and endurance, as well as increased speed and flexibility.

I recently turned 16 too, happy belated b-day bro. :D

Firstly - you do not build 'tone'. You cannot do certain exercises to 'tone' or 'shapen' a muscle - weightlifting will force your muscles to become stronger and bigger (to varying ratios depending on training style) and tone is a simple combination of muscle size and low bodyfat. So by wanting to tone all you need to do is lose fat, and you could carry on with your bodyweight exercises.

For Martial Arts, I would recommend a combination of Bodyweight Combat Conditioning exercises (Hindu Pushups, Hindu Squats, and Back Bridge) to work your flexibility and endurance, in combination with a Powerlifting/Pylometric style of weight training. This would involve high weight with low reps, moved at a fast speed, to increase strength and speed.

You don't really need supplements to gain strength or mass, a well-structured meal plan will support your weight training perfectly. Aim to get 6 meals a day and to eat 18-22 calories per pound of bodyweight. Each meal should have one portion or carbs and one portion of protein.. here are some good sources

Carb - Bread, Rice, Potatoes, Pasta, Yams, Wheats, Oats

Protein - Meats (chicken and tuna are lowest in fat), Milk, cottage cheese

Fat - Nuts, Peanut Butter, Milk

To gain strength, you are going to have to gain some mass, but don't worry since with the correct routine and eating schedule, you will be able to achieve great strength and speed without putting on too much mass. Many of the strength increases in powerlifters are not due to increased muscle strength, but due to increased neural ability for the body to recruit more of the muscle it already has.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

hey all

hey jack it nice to know i got some people who know what is like to just turn 16 ;)

you mentioned several types of food to maintain a suitable diet when doing weight lifting, i feel that buy eating those types of foods and using the low weight high reps mentioned by kick chick i could reach my goals.

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

Fair enough ad, but with low weight and high reps (I guess we are talking 15-50 reps per set) then you will not gain much strength or power in your strikes, and next to no size at all, but your ability to maintain power in your strikes over longer periods of time will increase noticably.

Good luck!

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com