• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

School logos and colors

My school goes for simplicity. Just a small black and white circle patch with the kanji for WA.

I don't even have one. my gi is blank.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have two fairly simple patches, one for each side of the chest. One is the Traditional Taekwondo Association patch, and the other is the Sun Yi's Academy patch. On the back is the Korean symbol for Do, with Sun Yi's Academy Taekwondo on the back, too.

Some of the instructor's uniforms has an Instructor patch on it, and some of the Master Instructors have a patch that denotes that.

Some of the instructor's uniforms has an Instructor patch on it, and some of the Master Instructors have a patch that denotes that.

Im not trying to take a shot at you, Brian, but why do they have patches that say that? Doesn't the belt say that in its own way? Doesn't their abilities and leading class say that? Sorry, it's just one of those things I can't wrap my head around.

Just because. Its something our GM wanted to do, so he did it. I don't get to be the one to approve such things, I just wear the uniform they give me. The uniform I wear right now doesn't have an instructor patch on it. One that I do have doesn't fit.

Im not trying to take a shot at you, Brian, but why do they have patches that say that? Doesn't the belt say that in its own way? Doesn't their abilities and leading class say that? Sorry, it's just one of those things I can't wrap my head around.

For what it's worth ITF TKD also has something similar in their shoulder flashes (inspired by military uniform): https://goo.gl/photos/qyHTbThafUMJiXPY8

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks for the responses so far. With the exception of tallgeese, would it be fair to say most here have a traditional-style school logo rather than a more modern one?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

What exactly would qualify as a "traditional style" logo? How exactly could one identity elements that might suggest such a tradition or trend exist? If such a thing does exist, where could it be said to originate? The birth country or region of a given martial art?

The only quasi-universal trait martial arts logos appear to have is that as a general rule, smaller and older martial arts dojo with strong ties to their region of origin tend to favour more sober designs.

• 3 years later...

We wear two patches on our gis. Our style patch has the kanji for Uechi-Ryu written vertically, with a green "COLORADO" underneath. On the left sleeve, we wear our organization patch, which has the modified offset red double-oval of the Okinawan flag in the center. On top of the flag, it has a large black SANCHIN in kanji. Circumscribing the double oval above, we have the kanji for Uechi-Ryu Karate-Do, and underneath we have the name of our organization (in kanji) Kokusai Kyokai.

Since we're the only member of our organization (or Uechi-Ryu school for that matter) in the Denver area, it pretty much uniauely identifies us.

My Journey (So Far)

Shuri-Ryu 1996-1997 - Gokyu

Judo 1996-1997 - Yonkyu

Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan

ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

I have trained in two traditional Shotokan karate-do organizations. For both of them, the practice was/is to wear a plain white dogi. In both, members also had/have the option of wearing the organization’s patch or embroidery on the left chest of the gi.

My 45-year-old JKA patch features the red and white Inyo (Rising Sun/Yin-Yang) symbol, with “J.K.A. International U.S.A.” overlaid in black.

My current SKA embroidery is the Shotokan Tora no Maki (Tiger Scroll) symbol created by Hoan Kosugi, with “Shotokan Karate of America” circumscribing the Tora no Maki - all in blue.

Japan Karate Association (JKA), 1974-1990, Sandan