• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gaining Flexibility by using weights?

When you are strength training, if you are doing the big barbell exercises like squat, deadlift, power clean, snatch, bench press and press, you will get flexible through the whole range of motion so long as you are doing the exercises correctly.

However, if you want to get more flexible, for kicking high, then you will likely have to spend time stretching independent of lifting weights, and probably after your strength training session.

I'm no body builder, if anything I'm trying to be proportionally stronger, pliable, fast and agile.

I also use thick rubber bands for resistance training.

Also use other bits and pieces of training paraphernalia including outdoor stair sprinting in subways Ect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have been working hard over the last year to improve my flexibility, spending at least 20 minutes six days per week stretching on judo mats in my basement. My goal is to get my side kick higher for kata. While I am no where near doing a full split, I have improved greatly. I've pretty much been doing a general stretching routine and add three sets of side split holds for a minute or so.

In addition, I have continued to lift weights - something I started when I was about 13 years old. My main lifts are bench press, front squats, weighted pull ups, and standing military press. I usually weight train 3-4 days per week, stretch 6 days per week, and get to the dojo at least 3 days...plus 5 or 6 days of meditation for 20 minutes or so. Trying to keep things as holistic as possible.

I do not feel my weight training is hampering my flexibility at all. Also, I believe the stretching is having a positive impact on my strength training, so I'm going to stick to my current plan, although I will continue to tinker to keep the muscles guessing.

That's great mkdaggy, learn all you can and apply what you learn, just takes time and patience, you will get to where you want to be.

• 1 year later...

Update:

More than a year later and have gained more strength and flexibility due to using weights.

Have had to modify my weight flexibility training in a few ways, firstly, buy by saying that my calves have grown bigger and due to that, it is difficult to stap the weights on, secondly because of my legs becoming stronger I have upped the amount on weights to 14 kilos per leg and using weight bags, held to my calves using bungie cords.

Also using strap and pulley machines attached to weights at the gym, including a few different stretching machines there as well.

Combined with thin and thick rubber bands, at this junction,

now have alot of variable options to use at my training sessions to gain strength and flexibility every day of the week.

Should also mention that mixing the stretching with core exercises works wonders.

• 1 month later...

If wondering if I have broken in two this far, the answer is no.

My flexibility using machines and weights has been improving considerably.

In the way that my warm up time to hit full extensions are becoming shorter.

With the use of weights for gaining flexibility is causing a lot of surprised faces due to the effectiveness of training this way, not that it really matters but it is a type of encouragement.

While others in the gym that are also trying to gain flexibility without the use of weights seem to me to be stuck in their efforts.

Had overall a variety of reactions to using weights such as those telling me that this it what they should be doing, a personal trainer told me that she is going to steal my ideas and another asked if doing flexibility exercises this way causes cramps.

So at this point, the use of weights for gaining flexibility is still on the rise.

Still recommend weights, as not only becoming more flexible but also stronger as well.

• 1 month later...

Incorporating another type of weight, using a 12 kilo kettle bell, towards improving the middle straddle split.

Start the routine slowly, with the idea that this is also a limbering up warm up.

Pt1) While in a narrow horse stance squatting as low as possible while holding it (kettle bell) in front of me (with my forearms resting on top of my quads) this is done for counter balance, which helps to squat lower.

Pt 2) Also while bent forward, pulling the kettle bell towards my chest, stretching the hamstrings, this part is geared towards warming up muscles and creating some tension, as the initial part is to relax.

Pt 3) While standing leaning forward with my backside against a wal for balance, with legs in a wide arched horse stance, with elbows pressing against knees, this is done in an isometric tension way, gaining strength, stability and flexibility all in one.

Pt 4) Final part, going for the stretch, slowly sinking lower inch by inch, releasing tention bit by bit, holding on to the kettle bell sitting in front, for balance, but at the last moment, it is just using the palms of the hands for balance.

Repeating Pt 1) to Pt 4) for about 10 tries or till satisfied with your achievement.

I mark the wall behind me at different stages, to see the progress from past attempts at going lower in a straddle middle split.

As this method of stretching only requires a wall and a kettle bell or a weight of some kind, a rock or brick could also be used.

Patience and repetition is the key, if you have never done the full straddle split, give yourself a year to get there.

You are unlocking your hips, stretching muscles, lubricating joints, this takes time.

You are also training your subconscious to be accustomed to being pulled apart, without causing oneself harm, that will eventually allow you to relax in a split.

As progress is slow and hardly noticeable for much of the time, repetitive stretching, consciously and eventually unconsciously makes perfect sense, in all directions when possible.

Different martial art systems have their own unique characteristics of stretching and becoming loose and flexible, that also include massage; from karate, TKD, Muay Thai, Aikido, Tai Chi...

Investigating how other martial art systems than your own, gain flexibility might be of interest to you, as some are more relaxed based, whereas others are completely different from the next.

• 6 months later...

It has been a while since the last entry in to this discussion, perhaps because everyone is happy with their flexibility.

For those that would like to look a little deeper in to this subject of flexibility, then this is for you.

Weight training for flexibility.

Strengthening legs while stretching them with ankle weights

Gaining flexibility is getting out of the comfort zone you are in.

If always staying in that comfort zone when stretching, is only reinforcing your body to never go beyond that level.

As staying in that comfort zone is where many that stretch stay and remain thereabouts forever.

There are many methods to choose from when stretching for flexibility, usually shown by a flexible people.

Where it is easy to pass this seemingly flexible person off as naturally flexible, that didn't need to work very hard at it.

Even so, do they have the techniques and the moves to learn.

Perhaps this is true, that to be flexible is easier for some than others but they still had to do it regularly to attain it.

Learning to relax and having muscles warm are two important things to consider when stretching; often times when teaching a person to stretch I tell them to think of sleeping.

Flexibility is relaxation.

How about "MUA" under anesthesia?

Perhaps the takeaway from all this is, the more you relax the more flexible you will be.

Using weights or ankle weights, while you are relaxing is using gravity towards you becoming more flexible, for me they are my trusty little flexibility helpers.

Don't do flicking or ballistic movements whilst using ankle weights, slow and controlled movements are advisable; play safe. :karate:

https://youtu.be/KDQDOJgSW7Q

• 7 months later...
He is very flexible. I'm trying to strengthen my muscles in this way, but sometimes injuries take place, which takes time to get healed..
Welcome to KF loisgriffin85

Consistency over intensity, wherby expecting gains slowly but surely over time compared to expecting great gains quickly.

As the saying goes "Great things takes time"

Flexibility alone is not enough strength is also just as important and these two factors each need addressing due to them both being closely interrelated.

Practicing with exercises that are both gaining flexibility and strength is a smart approach for any martial artist to adopt.

Squatting and lunging are two examples with or without weights.