• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Martial Arts in My Mid-30's: The advantages of PT

While I had a few bouts of martial arts training in my early- and mid-20's, both were short lived (but greatly enjoyed!) I didn't get serious in the martial arts until a couple years ago, when I was 36 years old. Within the first year, I had come to the full realization that my body wasn't ready for it. My upper-body strength has always been lacking, and I went from someone who walked and hiked miles per day, to someone who only walked and hiked maybe several times per summer. I was by no means fat, but I was out of shape. My shoulders were always loose - they would pop out very easily. I had near-contortionist mobility in my shoulders. This became a serious issue. When I was younger, a subluxation in my shoulder would hurt, and I'd have to be careful for a couple of days. Now, a similar event is debilitating for about a week, and sore for a couple more. Landing on the mat wrong when falling, arm bars, joint locks, even blocking a kick or punch would cause issues. So, I went to my physician and requested some Physical Therapy. The therapist suggested several rotator cuff exorcises (there are 4 muscles in the rotator cuff of your shoulder.) Well, I've been doing these, and I must say that there has been a substantial improvement. I may not ever have full stability in my shoulders, but I feel I can still participate in the sport, so long as I'm careful. As I've mentioned in another post, I've also had problems with straining a muscle high up in my right hip. A chiropractor put my pelvis back inline and I'm also seeing the physical therapist to ensure that I minimize damage and maximize my potential for class.

So, what's the point of this post? I would highly recommend that anyone who joins a martial art for physical fitness at an older age, as I did, get checked out by a doctor first. Also, be very aware of injuries and strains. If you're repeatedly suffering from a similar injury, there could be something going on that a chiropractor or physical therapist can help with!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just got the go-ahead to start practicing my round and side kicks again! I have to take it slowly, as expected. This was great news! I was worried I might not be able to continue, as the issue seemed chronic.

• 2 months later...
I just got the go-ahead to start practicing my round and side kicks again! I have to take it slowly, as expected. This was great news! I was worried I might not be able to continue, as the issue seemed chronic.
How is your (kicking) training now?

Much improved! Thanks for asking, sir!

I don't have any issues with any of my normal kicks (front, side, round, spin-hook, crescent, etc.) The only kick that kinda seems to aggravate things would be my jumping round kicks - lots of hips required for that one!

Age is just a number!! Says the guy who just turned 60. :P What's important is that you're back on the floor; everything else is meaningless.

Train hard...train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I started training about 4 years ago at 31.

My hips have been sore since the day I started, kicking just isn't good for me but I train 4 days a week and my kicks have improved so I can do all kicks head height and with sufficient speed and power.

I really need to get myself to a physiotherapist to check out my hip mobility. I'm sure it's just a shortened ligament or muscle imbalance that's limiting me but I've always put it off.

You've inspired me to get off my butt.

I started training about 4 years ago at 31.

My hips have been sore since the day I started, kicking just isn't good for me but I train 4 days a week and my kicks have improved so I can do all kicks head height and with sufficient speed and power.

I really need to get myself to a physiotherapist to check out my hip mobility. I'm sure it's just a shortened ligament or muscle imbalance that's limiting me but I've always put it off.

You've inspired me to get off my butt.

Yeah, going to PT and visiting a chiropractor were really the way to go for me. A crooked pelvis and relatively weak hip muscles along with trying to kick hard (and probably with relatively poor technique, as I'm still a beginner) lead me to some pretty uncomfortable days!

I've been MA training for around 17 years and running for about 5 years...been dealing with some hamstring issues this year and I'm hoping PT will help. As with the OP, I'm also out of alignment...not sure if that or the hamstring issues came first.

PT so far involves targeted core and leg exercises to try to fix the alignment issues and more stretching. Haven't been told to discontinue MA classes, but I've been told to try biking instead of running...I haven't been very compliant, it's just a lot easier to head out the door for a run, even if I can't do the distance or pace I used to.

Been frustrating to not be able to kick any decent height, but I can look at this as an opportunity to work on leg kicks.

Here are some (alternative) videos that might shed some light on hip maintenance for martial artists.

(If you find these videos interesting to you or helpful, and want more suggestion, just ask)

Ballet turnout for martial artists

Ballet guy does martial arts

Talia ballet turnout tips

7 minute kama quickie

• 4 months later...

Gichin Funakoshi got it right. In his book, Karate do kyohan, he clearly advises that when starting training, one should initially limit themselves to one or two light sessions per week of no more than an hour.

By light sessions, this was non contact and mostly kata.

He goes on to say that once that becomes easy, then you can gradually increase both duration and intensity of training. But he also writes that one should not train to the point of pain or injury, but instead we should ensure that we are constantly improving, not degrading.

He was clearly a wise man. That kind of thinking is still pretty new in the west, where we traditionally seem to think that self abuse is the route to improvement.

Sadly I didn't read his book until I'd already completely ruined myself by over training. I am improving again now though, now that I've backed off a little bit.