• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt in both Shotokan and Tang Soo Do?

Prototype

As far as WTF and ITF TKD, how different are they? And again, variations on each other? Technique wise, is TKD completely different than karate?

There are fundamental differences in everything including stance and bodymechanics. Different arts at this point. WTF guys for instance chamber roundhouses as a front kick, then switch over, and strike with the ball of the foot. ITF kicks are the same as Tang Soo Do kicks - Shotokan roots, but with more hip rotation to them. Strike surface is ball of the foot (although we drill instep from time to time). WTF blocks by and large are still Shotokan, ITFs are not. A downward block in WTF is a shotokan block, a downward block in ITF, the elbow is bent, and the closed fingers pointing towards you. The WTF/shotokan downward block - the elbow is straight down and closed fingers point to the ground.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say they're the same. Shotokan would be more like the parent style as Tang Soo Do does have other influences and further developed on its own in Korea.

You'll find the kata in Shotokan and Tang Soo Do have their own unique flavour to them.

The only difference I know of is greater hip rotation in the korean version of mawashi geri, at the cost of speed. This was also carried over to traditional TaeKwonDo, since TSD instructors were recruited to pass on their knowledge to the first generation TKD students

Bassai Hyung as done by TSD:

Bassai Dai as done by Shotokan:

Ignoring the differences in individual skill level, there are definite differences in how the moves are done.

for example look at the start position or ready position for these blocks (chudan uke / kaunde makgi). In TSD its a full crossover right around the body with the blocking fist pointing behind at the start of the movement, in Shotokan it is a much shorter movement with the arms crossing lower in and x-shape

(it's probably best to slow the videos down to half speed to see)

TSD kaunde makgi:

Shotokan chudan uke:

There are further stylistic differences all the way through.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I wouldn't say they're the same. Shotokan would be more like the parent style as Tang Soo Do does have other influences and further developed on its own in Korea.

You'll find the kata in Shotokan and Tang Soo Do have their own unique flavour to them.

The only difference I know of is greater hip rotation in the korean version of mawashi geri, at the cost of speed. This was also carried over to traditional TaeKwonDo, since TSD instructors were recruited to pass on their knowledge to the first generation TKD students

Bassai Hyung as done by TSD:

Bassai Dai as done by Shotokan:

Ignoring the differences in individual skill level, there are definite differences in how the moves are done.

for example look at the start position or ready position for these blocks (chudan uke / kaunde makgi). In TSD its a full crossover right around the body with the blocking fist pointing behind at the start of the movement, in Shotokan it is a much shorter movement with the arms crossing lower in and x-shape

(it's probably best to slow the videos down to half speed to see)

TSD kaunde makgi:

Shotokan chudan uke:

There are further stylistic differences all the way through.

I don't think it's meaningful to draw conclusions based on an amateurs clip on YouTube. He may very well perform incorrectly.

Better to compare with this old footage of skilled TSD black belt.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DOGKO4qvo

That's Hwang Kee circa 1950s. The style has developed since then. It's like comparing Gichin Funakoshi to today's average blackbelt.

If we're talking about whether there is value in holding two blackbelts today, better to look at how the current style teaches and moves and compare what the average student is doing today as that's what they'll be learning and practising.

Better to compare with this old footage of skilled TSD black belt.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DOGKO4qvo

That's Hwang Kee circa 1950s. The style has developed since then. It's like comparing Gichin Funakoshi to today's average blackbelt.

If we're talking about whether there is value in holding two blackbelts today, better to look at how the current style teaches and moves and compare what the average student is doing today as that's what they'll be learning and practising.

¨

Regardless, you think having ones shoulder higher or lower (for example) when performing kata justifies spending time getting a second black belt?

As for Gishin Funakoshis Karate-Do, the reason we can't compare it to todays Shotokan is because his son, Gigo, made fundamental changes to the art. No person after Hwang Kee made fundamental changes to Tang Soo Do, that I know of,

¨

Regardless, you think having ones shoulder higher or lower (for example) when performing kata justifies spending time getting a second black belt?

As for Gishin Funakoshis Karate-Do, the reason we can't compare it to todays Shotokan is because his son, Gigo, made fundamental changes to the art. No person after Hwang Kee made fundamental changes to Tang Soo Do, that I know of,

Not sure where I said it justifies getting a second blackbelt? My point was that there are more differences between the two than just the hip rotation aspect you mentioned in an earlier post:

The only difference I know of is greater hip rotation in the korean version of mawashi geri, at the cost of speed.

Chudan uke / kaunde makgi was just one easy example in Bassai which is a kata / form the two styles share.

¨

Not sure where I said it justifies getting a second blackbelt? My point was that there are more differences between the two than just the hip rotation aspect you mentioned in an earlier post:

The only difference I know of is greater hip rotation in the korean version of mawashi geri, at the cost of speed.

Chudan uke / kaunde makgi was just one easy example in Bassai which is a kata / form the two styles share.

I was referring to techniques in isolation from any kata. If you see a Shotokan dude delivering a sidekick, his/hers body is not leaned back like the Korean version. Japanese kicking techniques are much more tight and rushed .