• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial art limitations

Re: Tai Chi, it has many health benefits and can enhance a martial artists fighting capabilities.

There are however very exaggerated claims attached to practicing Tai Chi that are nothing less than fraudulent.

As Tai Chi instructors can become delusional due to never having real life confrontational violent experiences.

There is a tendency in Tai Chi to keep selling it, than enjoying it for what it is; meditation while in motion.

I have invested time and money in to practicing Tai Chi, very satisfied with everything learned.

My Tai Chi Sifu at the time, had forty years experience, originally from Hong Kong; his day job was as a city engineer; he never sold Tai Chi as a fighting art; most of his students were referred to him from doctors.

He did however tell stories about the origins of Tai Chi that it was once a fighting art.

If Tai Chi becomes known as fraudulent, then those that benefit from its health aspects might become the real victims.

The delusional Tai Chi instructors should stop selling the self defense benefits and focus on the health aspects instead.

Just a recap, Tai Chi can enhance a martial artist that already has fighting skills be it from any combat style.

Tai Chi and Yoga as they are practiced today are peaceful pursuits to unite the mind, body and spirit.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Tai Chi instructors can become delusional due to never having real life confrontational violent experiences.

Kind of wonder how your Tai Chi Sifu would receive this, if at all!?

Not many, if any, instructors like being told, directly or indirectly, along the lines of your quote above.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Not many, if any, instructors like being told, directly or indirectly, along the lines of your quote above.

Seldom do people like hearing the truth. :brow: :brow:

My Tai Chi Sifu was the real thing not delusional at all.

He gave me sound advice as a truly caring person.

He wasn't in to bowing or uniforms.

He wasn't selling Tai Chi, he was teaching and explaining it as it is.

Not knowing any better at the time, I thought all Tai Chi teachers were like him but with more Tai Chi teachers promoting themselves on the internet, the claims that are given to sell Tai Chi are laughable; when getting past the comical aspects then the fraudulent claims start to seem very serious.

Bending the truth or exaggerating about Tai Chi is not ethical, misleading the public about Tai Chi should be considered criminal.

I think that the problem is that very few instructor are able to teach the combative aspect of Tai Chi. Immagine that you teach only the katas of karate (especially goju ryu) for years, at some point it will become like Tai Chi.

Inside the forms there are hidden techiques like in katas, there are strikes, armlock, low kicks etc. but since only the meditave aspects have been taught very few techer knows the real Tai Chi Chuan (I underline Chuan)

I think that the problem is that very few instructor are able to teach the combative aspect of Tai Chi. Immagine that you teach only the katas of karate (especially goju ryu) for years, at some point it will become like Tai Chi.

Inside the forms there are hidden techiques like in katas, there are strikes, armlock, low kicks etc. but since only the meditave aspects have been taught very few techer knows the real Tai Chi Chuan (I underline Chuan)

Very true Italian_guy.

Tai chi Chun instructors are not ideally or usually combative type personalities.

Tai Chi Chuan is called "Grand Ultimate Fist" as it is a type of MMA incorporating different elements such as, punching techniques, tripping and throws, also joint locking applications.

Some people try to revive the fighting aspects calling in "Combat Tai Chi" or something similar.

Tai Chi Chuan like other styles has its bias and differences leaning more towards the health benefits while others bask in the harmony with the universe and enjoy the interplay of Yin/Yang.

Cultivating Chi is another aspect of Tai Chi Chuan, my personal experience with this aspect was a positive learning experience or a self delusional one.

In all fairness, my Tai Chi practice gave me a feeling of togetherness and an energy boost beyond comparison, something that I have needed to draw from today, having learned it about twenty years ago.

While others use Tai Chi as a beautifully choreographed dance, that has not only health but beauty benefits attached also.

Ironically there are delusional Tai Chi instructors that complain about the people that use Tai Chi in a mystical way, that claim to have, none touch chi knockout power...

I hope we have outgrown the levitation era that once belonged to the New Age Yoga sect, perhaps not, Tai Chi is very similar in this respect of trying to poses a mystical or spiritual advantage, including longevity bonus points.

Superstitions are very much alive in the orient, which makes Tai Chi Chuan and the other internal martial arts appealing for the believers.

There are great aspects about Tai Chi sadly there is also pitfalls to be aware of, as the saying goes "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" in other words, keep what is good and get rid of the rubbish.

As to the fight between the "Mr MMA" and "Mr Tai Chi" for lack of a better description of the both of them.

The last ten blows to the head were not called for or needed, as Mr Tai Chi could have just as easily been pinned down with a variety of simple grappling techniques.

This also illustrates how desensitized we are to violence in the West, as the term "Ground and Pound" is normal, not so in China, as we might tend to believe that everyone is born with the title of "Kung Fu Master" there are many that prefer ping pong over chop saki.

There was no concern from Mr MMA to Mr Tai Chi at the end of the bout.

The trend of gaining from the misery of others and openly with Mr MMA teaching Mr Tai Chi a lesson in how to legally beat up another person publically without being arrested for it.

I have never thought of modern Tai Chi as a combative art although it is a martial art (thus I guess combative at least in nature).

The issue I have with the statement that MMa is out to prove that Chinese martial arts are not effective or are "fake" is that MMA is a sport and sports have rules. The whole premise that Chinese martial arts is not as effective as another shows a lack of understanding of the history of martial arts. You can pretty much trace most martial arts back to Shaolin.

I am not a Chinese martial arts practitioner and have no stake in defending their arts but I would bet that the Tai Chi practitioner is not the best that they have as most highly ranked and experienced practitioners do not tend to have the need to prove their prowess. This does not in any way take away from the MMA fighter.

And again, maybe it's just me but Tai Chi vs MMA would not be the match up that would come to mind. Maybe Wing Chun or Fu Jow Pai or maybe San Shou or Shuai Jiao or a Shaolin monk. Tai Chi?

Maybe this is my own ignorance or lack of knowledge of the art but it definitely is not the first Chinese art that comes to mind when I think of a hard core combative martial art.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

I honestly feel martial artists need to be very fair and exact in their abilities as not to overstate or understate the facts.

When maists overstate their abilities such as Mr Tai Chi had done to Mr MMA on many occasions, the prove it or shut it, escalates in to lets settle it on the floor, as there are those that belive, violence settles everything.

Watching a competition between two people who come from entirely different martial arts backgrounds can be entertaining. The match is far from definitive, however. At best, you can only determine who fought the better fight.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)