• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei mistake

Kent valdez

Hello everyone, I'm doing shotokan karate, and I wanted to ask a question.

So basically my sensei sometimes does unsu when my other sensei is taking the class, and my sensei does unsu the wrong way. Like he is doing everything correctly except the first one finger strike move, you know how you're suppose to first start off with your right leg and hand and endI up with the same leg and hand you started he first starts off with his left leg and hand. I want to telltell him that but I'm afraid that this should be wrong. I don't want to be disrespectful or like oh I know better and more than you even tHough I don't, but I don't want him to continue like this as he might do that Kata in tournaments. So should I tell him or not? Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off, welcome to KF, Kent valdez; glad that you're here!! :bowofrespect:

Unsu!!

One of the most dynamic kata's known and practiced, as well as it's compulsory use at many MA tournaments around the world. While my base is Okinawa, of which, we don't train and/or teach Unsu, I've crossed trained in a plethora of MA styles that do train and/or teach Unsu on a more regular basis; Unsu is one of my most favorite Kata's!!

On that note, you're correct when you say...

"...my sensei does unsu the wrong way. Like he is doing everything correctly except the first one finger strike move, you know how you're suppose to first start off with your right leg and hand and endI up with the same leg and hand you started he first starts off with his left leg and hand."

Your sensei's Unsu, in the manner that he's executing it, is incorrect. As you've pointed out...the right leg/hand is the correct way to begin Unsu. I'll leave it at that.

To me, the issue isn't if your Sensei is executing Unsu incorrectly, but moreover, should you be the one to point that out to your Sensei??

NO!! You should not!! If you do, then you're assuming a position that you've no right to assume at all. That's not your right. Protocol dictates that the CI is the one to correct any student, no matter rank and/or affiliation.

If your Sensei IS the CI, then, and HE'S incorrectly executing Unsu, then you, my friend, have found yourself to be in a very awkward position. Either way, if one Sensei or the other are incorrect, and you're the student, then you best know your role on the floor quite fast.

I've no idea as to why your Sensei is executing Unsu incorrectly, but nonetheless, you're the student, and your NOT the Sensei/CI.

Having said that, if your Sensei has that open door policy, then by all means, go to him, behind close doors, then simply share what you've observed. BUT BE POLITE, and in not an accusation tone.

His errors are just that...HIS, and not yours, no matter the venue!! I never ever once would correct and/or suggest anything along these lines to my Sensei while he was alive, and I'm of a Senior Dan rank. He would've eat me up and spat me out unmercifully with cause. Just who did I think that I was...his senior?!?!

Wrong is wrong and incorrect is incorrect; these actions should be made accountable. However, the one to point these flaws of/and to your Sensei/CI is NOT the student. That's for someone who's earned THAT right to do so!! If that someone isn't you, then know your role, and mind your own business.

I wish you best in this situation.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you so much for taking your time to reply, I understand and know what to do now. But the thing is that my sensei is actually a student, that sometimes teaches us when shihan isn't at the dojo. My sensei is 3rd dan student that teaches us. But whenever the shihan is at the dojo my sensei trains along with other students.

I assume that you are a kyu grade, if this is the case then as sensei8 pointed out, it's not for you to comment. Just concentrate on your own syllabus and learning of Karate.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Thank you so much for taking your time to reply, I understand and know what to do now. But the thing is that my sensei is actually a student, that sometimes teaches us when shihan isn't at the dojo. My sensei is 3rd dan student that teaches us. But whenever the shihan is at the dojo my sensei trains along with other students.

Every MAist IS a student, no matter the rank!! Your Shihan, your Sensei, you, me, my Dai-Soke, and whomever steps on the floor, are all students; now and forever!!

I've been on the floor as a student in my own dojo whenever Dai-Soke visited my dojo to run any class!!

The only ones that should say anything to your Sensei are your Shihan or any Dan rank within your style that's your Sensei's senior. That leaves you out of the equation, no matter how well intended you might be, and no matter how much it might be driving you crazy to watch your Sensei execute Unsu incorrectly, and no matter how embarrassed you might feel.

Train hard...train well!! That's your sole role as a student of the MA. The only ones that you can suggest anything are students that are your junior, and them alone.

Hello everyone, I'm doing shotokan karate, and I wanted to ask a question.

So basically my sensei sometimes does unsu when my other sensei is taking the class, and my sensei does unsu the wrong way. Like he is doing everything correctly except the first one finger strike move, you know how you're suppose to first start off with your right leg and hand and endI up with the same leg and hand you started he first starts off with his left leg and hand. I want to telltell him that but I'm afraid that this should be wrong. I don't want to be disrespectful or like oh I know better and more than you even tHough I don't, but I don't want him to continue like this as he might do that Kata in tournaments. So should I tell him or not? Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

I agree with the others, it's not really your place. There might be very valid reason for his choices. As you get some time on, if the situation continues, maybe ask why he executes the movement in that manner. Like I said, he might have valid reasons that are unique to his experience.

You are correct that he is executing the first movements incorrectly.

Having said that you don't know why he is doing this.

Instead of TELLING him, you as a student should ASK him. To presume that you know something when you don't comes off as rude to an instructor. However approaching him and saying that you have seen Unsu being done this way and asking him why they do it differently (Notice I did not say why he is doing it differently) is far less rude and as a student he/she expects you to ask questions. As your instructor he/she has an obligation to explain to his/her students what he/she teaches. However if you tell the instructor he/she is wrong you may be the one that gets embarrassed because there may be a legitimate reason he/she is doing what he/she is doing. He/she may know full well that it's not the way to execute the Kata but they may be doing it for a reason.

My guess is to see if any of his/her students is paying attention.

There is nothing wrong with approaching your teacher to ask questions. Having said that there is nothing to say that you'll get an answer. Always assume that they know what he/she is doing until they prove that theory wrong.

Never presume. Ask.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Absolutely!! Ask question of your Sensei, but in this situation, one needs to choose their words carefully, as MastuShinshii has pointed it out. The idiom that speaks...

"There's no such thing as a dumb question" is true. Albeit, there's no reason to be rude when asking, tether your emotions when asking. The Sensei's job is to teach, and part of teaching is answering a student's question(s) respectfully and professionally and clearly!!

Another idiom...

"You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Thank you everyone so much for replying. Tonight, I asked one of my fellow senior black belt to tell him that, but I also told him not to tell him that I told him that, and he did now he is doing it properly. He was a bit shocked that he was doing it wrong the whole time, but now it's correct. So thanks everyone

The late great Suzuki sensei used to teach the Wado version of Niseishi with a completely different embusen.

It puzzled me as to why and the best explanation I was given was that he probably forgot the original embusen that Otsuka had taught, but was convinced enough with the way he remembered it- to carry on teaching it for the rest of his career.

Bear in mind that when Suzuki left Japan to teach Wado across the globe, there were very few publications and images - let alone the internet to assist him, but in the grand scheme of things, it made little difference.

Today however - we have the world at our fingertips, and there is no reason for an instructor to get it 'that' wrong - unless he is doing it differently for a specific reason.

Some high ranking Japanese instructors have 'henka' or alternative ways to perform certain movements within kata - but they usually caveat this before teaching them.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!