• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first Krav Maga Lesson

Having some KM experience:

Use what ever is available to you in the situation to survive and use every bit of knowledge and experience against the enemy, such as if they have facial hair or long hair; use it against them by holding on to it, controlling and seizing the moment.

If you are facing the opponent during the day, keep the sun on your back, so as the sun shines in their eyes and not yours.

Footwear can be an advantage or a disadvantage, make sure you are not wearing beach sandals while the opponent is wearing combat boots.

Improvisational weapons is a subject worth investigating, as everyday items can be utilized and disguised, such as holding a brown paper bag that contains a hammer.

Holding a hammer could seem to be threatening but holding a hammer in a brown paper bag isn't; just a part of the element of surprise tactics...

Our insructor has annouced a lesson on improvisational weapons next thursday... I think it is going to br fun!

Let us all know how your lesson went, I'm curious and so will everyone else here also.

Since last evenining lesson was the last of the season (and then we had social dinner ) it was quite a short lesson. The instructor showed us the usage of kubotan (or as an alternative a robust pen). Then he showed us some techinques for gun disarming .. not as good as expected, let's hope better for the next season. Anyway kubotan is quite a useful self defensive tool I think I'll buy one.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've always been curious about Krav Maga. One of the things that kept me from it when I lived near Detroit were the type of people who were drawn to it (the ones that I've met, that is, not a general statement.) They were typically more of the "bro" crowd, and wanted to learn martial arts to be tough-guys.

Well, the prejudice wore off, but I no longer live near a school. =/

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

I've always been curious about Krav Maga. One of the things that kept me from it when I lived near Detroit were the type of people who were drawn to it (the ones that I've met, that is, not a general statement.) They were typically more of the "bro" crowd, and wanted to learn martial arts to be tough-guys.

As I said above, You cannot consider it a traditonal MA. It is purely self-defence oriented kind of thing. However self-defence is the essential of any martial art so I consider it very straght to the point and formless. I think that Bruce Lee, if he was alive, would have appreciated it.

As I said above, You cannot consider it a traditonal MA. It is purely self-defence oriented kind of thing. However self-defence is the essential of any martial art so I consider it very straght to the point and formless. I think that Bruce Lee, if he was alive, would have appreciated it.

Yeah, I have always understood that defense is important, and yeah... Bruce Lee would have appreciated its efficiency!

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

In my Krav training I've done disarming for pistols and for long guns, and I've found the techniques to be very straightforward, sound techniques. Its really one of the parts of the training that I really benefit from.

Just the other day, we had simunitions training at work, and I used principles learned in Krav gun disarms to great success. I think their principles when it comes to this are very sound.

In my Krav training I've done disarming for pistols and for long guns, and I've found the techniques to be very straightforward, sound techniques. Its really one of the parts of the training that I really benefit from.

Just the other day, we had simunitions training at work, and I used principles learned in Krav gun disarms to great success. I think their principles when it comes to this are very sound.

Yes and in principle they are quite easy technique from the purely body mechanics point of view however to make them work you need a lot of training both physical and psycological

Yes and in principle they are quite easy technique from the purely body mechanics point of view however to make them work you need a lot of training both physical and psycological

Well, you do need to get the reps in, but that goes with making any technique work properly. I'm not sure what kind of psychological training one would need, or how one would get it.

Practicing with some Sims gear and a pellet gun would be a good start.